cpu bottleneck? 1080 vs 1080ti for competitive 1080p gaming

negativory

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Planning to build a new rig but still cant decide on Ryzen vs i7 vs wait for new intel chip, but my GPU is struggling in PubG (GTX 770)

I've been set on a 1080ti but I sort of realized that I might just bottle neck myself because i dont plan to go above 1080p, my concern in gaming has never been quality of picture but max FPS with acceptable graphics, I essentially only play games in a competitive fashion. CSGO, Pubg, OW, Dota, Rocket league.

Im rarely playing any single player games at maxed out settings and not going above 1080p so I sort of starting thinking to myself while I struggled to find a high clock speed 1080ti in a place I can order without being taxed in my state (everything out of stock) that maybe I should just be going with a 1080. I generally keep my PCs around 4-5 years but Im not sure if I am just wasting around $200 by getting a Ti which will be bottlenecked by my 1700x or 7700k in games like PubG.

Solution

Personally running at 1080p I wouldn't get the TI its utter overkill but to each is there own. I think you would be better served by the GTX 1080 and a short upgrade cycle say 3 years versus trying to hold on to the 1080 TI for 5 years. Look at like this, if you by a 1080 class every 3 years vs TI class every 5 years. You will save $200+ on the...

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

at 1080p

1700 yes

7700k no ( you may need to overclock it in some crap running games like PUBG)

most 1080 ti will behave the same out of the box if they have a good cooler, dont waste money on factory OC versions specifically

look for versions with good coolers, like the asus strix

if you can wait a couple of months do so, the new intel stuff is coming out

negativory

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
thanks for replies, i think my plan is to get the new beast CPU cooler and put it on my current CPU and get another 100-200mhz and then get the 1080 or 1080ti and roll with that until the intel comes out and decide from there, which is what both have suggested. I still just am not sure if I should go for the ti or not... I feel like in the wrong run it could be worth it but I dont know.

Personally running at 1080p I wouldn't get the TI its utter overkill but to each is there own. I think you would be better served by the GTX 1080 and a short upgrade cycle say 3 years versus trying to hold on to the 1080 TI for 5 years. Look at like this, if you by a 1080 class every 3 years vs TI class every 5 years. You will save $200+ on the part vs the higher end part so it evens out cost wise and the 1080 of 2020, 3 years from now, will smoke the 1080TI. I prefer this approach if you aren't pushing the limits running 4k multiple monitors etc, and so you don't need the extra power today.

Solution