daggy

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
ok to start off these are my specs

gtx 680 2gb

amd phenom II 1090T x6 @ 3.8 ghz

8gb ddr3 RAM

700W power supply

So, I noticed a problem where my game would run at 45 fps during intense combat, but then in certain areas my fps would drop to 18 when looking at a certain angle

an example of this drop would be

- next to the roses of remembrance, looking down at flotsam.
- during the prelude to the ghost battles in the second chapter, looking at the burning battleground.

So i noticed in this game my GPU usage is only used up to 50% MAX . When the intense fps drops arrive my gpu usage drops to 32%

it's crazy. people have told me it has to be a CPU bottleneck, but im not too sure about that because I have only had FPS problems with this game so far. My rigg handles everything else i throw at it.

And for comparison, when i max out metro 2033 my gpu usage is 75% minimum.

> all my drivers are up to date
> I do not have ubersampling enabled
> I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game three times
> V sync is disabled

This is driving me crazy.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Thank you in advance.

Also....

If this IS a cpu bottleneck, what CPU should I get? My motherboard only supports AMD, sadly...

daggy

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

Yeah its completely updated. Its a shame...

I also had the same problem with my AMD 6870 1gb

Traciatim

Distinguished
The best way I've fuond to see if it's CPU is just to do an antialias test, run through fraps and record your frame times. Then turn on anti-aliasing and look at the frame times again. (you can use just the min/max/average numbers too).

If you notice that your min/max/average all drop by similar percent amounts then it's your GPU. If you notice your Max and average drop, but your minimum numbers stay pretty much the same, then the times that are slow your GPU is waiting around on somethign anyway so it can't make frames. . . that mean CPU.

If you look at frame times as a chart you will notice spikes in the slow down areas (longer frames) and those spikes won't change, but the average, and especially the really fast frames, will slow down when you turn on anti-aliasing.

daggy

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

Alright so after doing that my avg and max increased a tiny bit with it off, but my minimum stayed the same either way.

Soo it's the cpu I guess...but whats the deal? Why is this only happening with the witcher 2?

daggy

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

Every MMO I played is fine with this tho...

Is there any way to fix it?

daggy

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

I pretty much gave up on it. it's not worth my time. If this is the only game in my whole library having problems like this, well then the game is unoptimized shit. Specifically speaking the Enhanced Edition is unoptimized shit.

If i can max crysis 3, bf3, metro 2033, saints row 3, and many more dx11 titles without a problem, then there is no excuse for the witcher 2.

I have never had a problem like this outside of the witcher 2, and that tells me something.

step your shit up cd projeckt