Question CPU Bottleneck new monitor (higher res) or new cpu.

michel_20

Commendable
Jul 26, 2017
Perhaps its kinda a dumb question but should i buy a new cpu or a new monitor with higher res when im bottlenecking.

Specs:

CPU: i7700K

Motherboard: GKEG16 GiBy GA-Z170XP-SLI Z170

Ram:16 GB IEIGGJ35 D416GB 2400-15 Ripjaws 4 Red K2 GSK

SSD/HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

GPU: Asus 2080S

PSU: TN6MB2 CooMas B600 600W ATX23

Chassis: Sharkoon S25-W

Res: 1920 x 1080

Last edited:

michel_20

Commendable
Jul 26, 2017
Oh, right!
As you increase resolution and graphics settings, it puts more load on the gpu, and less on the cpu.
I can't think of any games - save for one - that use more than 8 threads.

Well in the new cod that i wanna play in the future aswell i hope i have around 90% usage in cpu in the game mode ground war in peeks to 100 if i change res will it stay alot lower or will it still be so high if u know what i mean?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well in the new cod that i wanna play in the future aswell i hope i have around 90% usage in cpu in the game mode ground war in peeks to 100 if i change res will it stay alot lower or will it still be so high if u know what i mean?
As with anything new, you have to give it time. With how developers have been launching games in half-assed states lately, you shouldn't expect things to run smoothly from the start.
Keep up with Nvidia driver updates, as well as game patches from the devs.

Generally speaking, 1440p or 4K should reduce the current load you're seeing on your cpu. If your cpu still peaks even after that, that would mean you'd need a faster cpu... or faster memory may even help here, since it's just 2400mhz.

michel_20

Commendable
Jul 26, 2017
As with anything new, you have to give it time. With how developers have been launching games in half-assed states lately, you shouldn't expect things to run smoothly from the start.
Keep up with Nvidia driver updates, as well as game patches from the devs.

Generally speaking, 1440p or 4K should reduce the current load you're seeing on your cpu. If your cpu still peaks even after that, that would mean you'd need a faster cpu... or faster memory may even help here, since it's just 2400mhz.

its in rocket league aswell btw i cant play that game at all at the moment

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Huh... that game's been around awhile.
When's the last time you did an antivirus/malware scan?

Give this a spin, as it can find things that may get past Windows Defender.

michel_20

Commendable
Jul 26, 2017
Huh... that game's been around awhile.
When's the last time you did an antivirus/malware scan?

Give this a spin, as it can find things that may get past Windows Defender.

Im using G Data antivirus for a while now and im using CC cleaner so that shouldnt be a problem i guess?