Cpu bottleneck pc gaming

waynebouvett

Prominent
Feb 4, 2019
cpu : i5-8400
gpu :rtx 2080
Motherboard :ROG STRIX B360-H GAMING

Ik Know that i have a bottleneck but the problem is that even if i max my settings and have more usage than my cpu i still get stutters

Do you know what bottlenecking is?
Bottlenecking is basically when your CPU is too bad to allow your gpu to work well.

Also, what are you asking for?
If you have a bottlenecck issue, then upgrade your cpu. It's that simple.
I recommend upgrading to the I7 8700K. It requires no mobo swap.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate? Does it have Gsync, FreeSync, or neither? Is VSync or any of the adaptive sync settings enabled or disabled?

What game are you playing?

Run something like HWInfo to get a graph of CPU, GPU, HDD, RAM etc utilization while you play, and see what, if anything, tends to be sticking at or near 100%.

The results will be different for different games.

And, for the love of all that's holy, throw out the word "bottleneck" from your vocabulary. That is a word that has been so misused that it's almost meaningless now, when it comes to PCs.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Download and install HWInfo and run it. I haven't used it, but I've seen people post screenshots with their graphs.

I think MSI's Afterburner works similarly, but again, no personal experience.

Without knowing what specific component is hitting its limit, it's impossible to really give you accurate guidance.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Hard drive being accessed by a windows process maybe?

At that low level of CPU and GPU usage, there shouldn't be any issues... neither the CPU or GPU are maxed out.

The 8400 is hardly a slug, as it outperforms most RYzens in gaming, and should certainly be capable of stutter free gaming, even with a great GPU...; I'd be more concerned with too high of a frame rate and a gysnc/vsync issue as someone already alluded to...or an overwhelmed internet connection to server, etc....(try limiting your FPS in game settings to 60 fps, just in case...)

Is this a 144 Hz monitor? Try a 60 Hz, with vsync on if necessary....

Make sure Windows power plan is at least set to Balanced (or try performance if needed), we don't want the CPU downclocking itself by mistake...

Check temps to make sure no throttling is occurring, as 8400s were known to ship with barely adequate factory coolers...

I doubt fortnite graphics would be affected by a slow hard drive

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hm, yeah.

Wayne: just to be on the safe side, try this:
1 - download the latest drivers from Nvidia (don't install yet)
2 - download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)
3 - run DDU in safe mode to remove the Nvidia drivers.
4 - you may need to run it again to install any stray AMD video drivers (if you had an AMD card before), or Intel video drivers.
5 - reboot
6 - install the Nvidia drivers you downloaded in step 1.
7 - after all that, let Windows do any and all updates it may want/need to do. Go to Start -> Settings Gear Icon -> Updates & Security and click Check For Updates just to be sure Windows pulls in everything it needs.

Then try again and see if that helps.

Ultimately, though, it could be a syncing issue. If your monitor does NOT have an adaptive refresh, then some jittering can occur when the frames dip below the refresh, or tearing above.

What is the manufacturer and model of your monitor?

waynebouvett

Prominent
Feb 4, 2019

It's a iiyama monitor :https://iiyama.com/gl_en/products/g-master-gb2783qsu-b1/
i tryed to use ddu but same thing is happening

waynebouvett

Prominent
Feb 4, 2019

i have 16gb of ram (2666 MHz DDR4)