[SOLVED] Cpu Bottleneck?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
hey guys, i have a ryzen 3 1200 paired with a gtx 1650, i've noticed in the witcher 3 that my cpu usage is really high 70 - 100% average and my gpu is only at about 40 - 45 %, is this a possible cpu bottleneck as the 1650 is only slightly better than a 1050 and the ryzen 3 1200 pairs comfortably upto a gtx 1060 possibly 1070 with no bottle neck. am i miss informed or is something wrong here. i've only been monitoring on the witcher 3. 900p, high graphics setting and only antialiasing on in post processing

Solution
The cpu pre-renders the frames according to game code. Nothing else. If it can dish out 100fps, it'll do so regardless of detail settings or resolution. It'll always run at 100% ability to do so, but usage is not ability, it's how much of the cpus resources are needed to get that 100% ability. 100% usage means it can't handle the code, the game is too intense. Too much bandwidth use, too much code, too much thread usage.

After the cpu is done with the pre-renders, it ships that to the gpu. That's where details and resolution change things. Higher the details, higher the resolution, more resources the gpu needs to use to get that 100fps on screen. At 720p, that's chump change, doesn't use much gpu at all to get all 100fps up. At 4k...

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
Max fps: what the pc is capable of
Avg fps: what you'll deal with roughly
Min fps: what you are forced to live with if you want to play.
I think the hard part is finding the best compromise, i will happily play any game at a constant steady 30fps its when you have varied FPS like highs of 80s down to 40ish that's quite annoying, i've deduced that my CPU isn't the best for open world games with lots of things happening in the background but smaller scale games like RE2 remake are ideal as i can bump the graphics quality way up and get a good constant 50ish fps, i'm planning on getting borderlands 3 soon. how do you see my system fairing or should i just get it on PS4?