Question CPU Bottleneck

Sep 23, 2019
While gaming, my CPU gets to 100% while my GPU is at 50-60% only. I have AMD RYZEN 5 3550H 2.1 GHz and a GTX 1650. How can i prevent this bottleneck?

All you can really do is turn up the detail settings to increase GPU utilization, but your FPS will not improve by doing this, only GPU usage will increase. And I agree on making sure the laptop is getting proper airflow, 80-90c is uncomfortably hot for the laptop - it's probably not affecting performance but it's not good for the CPU's overall life, especially if it is in the high 80's.

Boost clock is 3.7 and while gaming it is round 3.2-3.3 and i have Asus Armoury Crate so i just switch tabs to check the temp once in a while.
Maybe turn off Asus Armoury Crate and install AMD Ryzen Master and use that to check temps for another reference as it may give more accurate readings. Overall though the temperatures you are seeing are pretty much within expected ranges for that CPU and GPU. There isn't much you can do to lower the temps, except maybe place a fan at the exhaust to pull more air. You could try replacing the thermal paste, but I wouldn't bother since you unlikely to see any performance difference and you will void the warranty.

If I were you, I will start by closing every single app thats not usefull (specially the ones that came with the notebook prei-installed). After that I would kill all the processes that may be runing on the backgroud (most pre-installed utilities, even when closed, also keep backgound garbage that will tax your CPU for nothing usefull).

After that you could check temps with only 1 app. I use and suggest hwinfo portable (no need to perform an installation), run the "Sensors only option", by doing this you can keep hwinfo runing while paying and when youre done, just close the game, go back to hwinfo and check the MAX clomun readings for your CPU temps.

All notebooks, no matter the vendor, as long as they have Windows pre-installed, come packed with tons software that in most cases are trash that tax your CPU all the time for nothing usefull.

Cheers

If I were you, I will start by closing every single app thats not usefull (specially the ones that came with the notebook prei-installed). After that I would kill all the processes that may be runing on the backgroud (most pre-installed utilities, even when closed, also keep backgound garbage that will tax your CPU for nothing usefull).

After that you could check temps with only 1 app. I use and suggest hwinfo portable (no need to perform an installation), run the "Sensors only option", by doing this you can keep hwinfo runing while paying and when youre done, just close the game, go back to hwinfo and check the MAX clomun readings for your CPU temps.

All notebooks, no matter the vendor, as long as they have Windows pre-installed, come packed with tons software that in most cases are trash that tax your CPU all the time for nothing usefull.

Cheers
As far as I'm aware, HwInfo hasn't been updated yet to give proper temp readings with Ryzen CPUs. It's recommended to use AMD Ryzen Master for the most accurate temp readings.

As far as I'm aware, HwInfo hasn't been updated yet to give proper temp readings with Ryzen CPUs. It's recommended to use AMD Ryzen Master for the most accurate temp readings.

HWinfo has been reporting, at least for me, exactly the same temps, core ussage, cpu frecuency and voltage (and every other system data) as Ryzen Master since I updated to a Ryzen 3000 cpu (which was 2 weeks after the launch day).

Also it has been updated 2 times since Ryzen launch.

Latest v6.12
Released on Sep-25-2019
  • Fixed reporting of ES/Production stage for some Zen2 CPUs.
  • Fixed measuring of BCLK for some Intel CPUs under Windows 7.
  • Added reporting of CPU High Temperature Clock Limit for AMD Zen2 family.
  • Added reporting of CPU Automatic Overclocking Offset for AMD Matisse family.
  • Added a new (more reliable) method for measuring BCLK on AMD Matisse systems.
  • Added monitoring of Memory Controller Clock (UCLK) for AMD Zen family.
  • Added preliminary support of Intel Elkhart Lake.
  • Fixed reporting of NVMe capacity when LBA data size > 512B.
  • Added reporting of CPU Thermal Trip Limit and HTC Temperature Limit for AMD Zen.
  • Updated reporting of CPU VDD and SoC SVI2 current/power on some MSI mainboards.
  • Added monitoring of per-CCD Tdie temperatures for AMD Zen2.
  • Improved support of several legacy (ISA, VLB) (S)VGA adapters.
  • Fixed reporting of GPU fan RPM on AMD Navi.
  • Added monitoring of voltage, current and power of EVGA RTX 20-series ICX GPUs.
Latest v6.10
Released on Jul-31-2019
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII series.
  • Added monitoring of AMD X570 chipset temperature.
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS PRIME X570 and TUF X570 series.
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE.
  • Added NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER, 2070 SUPER and 2080 SUPER.
  • Added monitoring of Infineon XDPE10281 on GPU (Galax RTX 2080 Ti HOF).
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASRock X570 series.
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS ROG STRIX B365-F and STRIX B365-G.
  • Added reporting of Favored Cores List for Intel CPUs.
  • Several minor improvements and bugfixes.
  • Preliminary sensor monitoring enhancements for ASUS ROG ZENITH II and X590 series.
  • Added ability to show custom sensors.

Maybe they still need to do some minor adjustments on the temp departament, but for me is working flawlessly.

HWinfo has been reporting, at least for me, exactly the same temps, core ussage, cpu frecuency and voltage (and every other system data) as Ryzen Master since I updated to a Ryzen 3000 cpu (which was 2 weeks after the launch day).

Also it has been updated 2 times since Ryzen launch.

Latest v6.12
Released on Sep-25-2019
  • Fixed reporting of ES/Production stage for some Zen2 CPUs.
  • Fixed measuring of BCLK for some Intel CPUs under Windows 7.
  • Added reporting of CPU High Temperature Clock Limit for AMD Zen2 family.
  • Added reporting of CPU Automatic Overclocking Offset for AMD Matisse family.
  • Added a new (more reliable) method for measuring BCLK on AMD Matisse systems.
  • Added monitoring of Memory Controller Clock (UCLK) for AMD Zen family.
  • Added preliminary support of Intel Elkhart Lake.
  • Fixed reporting of NVMe capacity when LBA data size > 512B.
  • Added reporting of CPU Thermal Trip Limit and HTC Temperature Limit for AMD Zen.
  • Updated reporting of CPU VDD and SoC SVI2 current/power on some MSI mainboards.
  • Added monitoring of per-CCD Tdie temperatures for AMD Zen2.
  • Improved support of several legacy (ISA, VLB) (S)VGA adapters.
  • Fixed reporting of GPU fan RPM on AMD Navi.
  • Added monitoring of voltage, current and power of EVGA RTX 20-series ICX GPUs.
Latest v6.10
Released on Jul-31-2019
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII series.
  • Added monitoring of AMD X570 chipset temperature.
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS PRIME X570 and TUF X570 series.
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE.
  • Added NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER, 2070 SUPER and 2080 SUPER.
  • Added monitoring of Infineon XDPE10281 on GPU (Galax RTX 2080 Ti HOF).
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASRock X570 series.
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS ROG STRIX B365-F and STRIX B365-G.
  • Added reporting of Favored Cores List for Intel CPUs.
  • Several minor improvements and bugfixes.
  • Preliminary sensor monitoring enhancements for ASUS ROG ZENITH II and X590 series.
  • Added ability to show custom sensors.
Maybe they still need to do some minor adjustments on the temp departament, but for me is working flawlessly.
Hmmm... I guess I need to try to follow up on reported bugs more often. Everyone should use at least 2 programs anyway to make sure they get the correct readings.

TRENDING THREADS