[SOLVED] CPU BOTTLENECK?

Mar 28, 2020
Hi, recently i buy a new graphics card, an xfx rx 470 8gb on eBay! So i starter to play, but i have low framerates... Actually i have :

Amd athlon II 750k 4.0GHz
8gb RAM DDR3 1333
Xfx rx 470 8192 mb 1250MHz/2000MHz

The CPU usage Is between 94-100%
Than the GPU Is unstable, like 100% than 2%, 40% etc. Is very unstable...

For example in Red dead redemption 2 i have in a large area 30-35 fps with medium-high presents, and when i look around me in game, or i go into city and i turn myself faster around the city, frames drop accidentally 😭

My friend Will give to me an i5 2500k, and i did some bottleneck simulator. With the amd i got the 56.8% of bottlenecking, then with the Intel only the 6%! It Will be?

Solution
RDR2 is quite demanding. 2500k is listed as minimum but not sure if you'll enjoy the performance it offers in game. It'll be better than what you have now but don't expect too much. Rule i go by if want to enjoy a game is treat recommended as minimum.

https://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=9339&game=Red Dead Redemption 2

No harm in trying though. Do you have a motherboard to go with the 2500k?

Id recommend more ram if you can help it.

Have you thought about overhauling to Ryzen?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
RDR2 is quite demanding. 2500k is listed as minimum but not sure if you'll enjoy the performance it offers in game. It'll be better than what you have now but don't expect too much. Rule i go by if want to enjoy a game is treat recommended as minimum.

https://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=9339&game=Red Dead Redemption 2

Reactions: Xsavage99
Solution
Mar 28, 2020

Thank you for the answer, the i5 2500k still a good cpu for gaming, i Will overclocking It 😝 like 4.0Ghz or more! My friend Will give to me an Asus motherboard with 8 GB of RAM. The motherboard model Is : P8P67 LE, really Great.

So After that i Will have 16 GB of RAM, and a i5-2500k 🥳 the fps Will be increased, like 30 fps more, with less stuttering .

Sorry for my bad english, i'm from Italy 😂

The older Athlons run about half the frame rates of older Intel processors, which are half the framerate of today's mid-range processors...(think of an old 4 GHz Athlon as being an old 2.5 GHz Intel....)

The 2500K, quite popular 8 years ago, is already increasingly slow by today's standards...

Look for an R5-2600/B450 mainboard combo...

Mar 28, 2020
Don't put any faith into bottleneck calculators, they don't account for the game nor resolution which can impact usage.

With the GPU usage fluctuating so much I'd look into a possible power issue, what is your PSU make/model?

Yeah i know, but the amd athlon's fm2 are so bad 😭, especially the athlon models. As PSU I got an LC POWER, 550W 80 plus bronze... I Don't think the psu Will be the problem, because After the rx 470, i had the Asus GTX 770 2gb with 12-pin connectors in. And After i install the rx 470 with 8 PIN less, the performance increased by 10-15 FPS, and all this because of CPU.

In some games with the rx i got worst performance like the GTX 770, like world war z...
The same issue, when i look around me Is stuttering so bad, like micro lags.

Mar 28, 2020
The older Athlons run about half the frame rates of older Intel processors, which are half the framerate of today's mid-range processors...(think of an old 4 GHz Athlon as being an old 2.5 GHz Intel....)

Exactly my friend! I see some i5-2500k performance... Incredibile

So if i got 35 fps in game with my actually athlon, i Will get 50-55 FPS with the i5 for sure

Mar 28, 2020

The 2500K, quite popular 8 years ago, is already increasingly slow by today's standards...

Look for an R5-2600/B450 mainboard combo...

And After all, Is a gift😂 so Better than my amd

Mar 28, 2020
They should be more playable, just make sure you do a clean install of Windows and drivers. Trying to boot with your current storage, if it even boots, is going to bring all sorts of problems.

Yeah, i Will only change the CPU and MOBO.
I will plug all the hard drives, and see if It charge everything. But i think that everything Will be fine ✌️

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Would be recommended to reinstall the OS for sure.

What OS are you running and does the license belong to you or is it from a pre-built machine like from Dell/HP? Depending on licensing circumstances, Windows may not activate on a different motherboard.

Mar 28, 2020
Would be recommended to reinstall the OS for sure.

What OS are you running and does the license belong to you or is it from a pre-built machine like from Dell/HP? Depending on licensing circumstances, Windows may not activate on a different motherboard.

I got a Windows 10 build 1909, with personal license .. i Hope It will works

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ok your good with the license. Create an MS account if you haven't yet so your license can be transferred.

See;

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change?amp

--

Trouble with not reinstalling is there's a mash of drivers and registry entries. Performance may seem ok but potentially could be better.

If you do reinstall Windows, disconnect all drives except the destination drive to prevent the possibility of Windows putting the boot loader elsewhere. Saves the hassle if said drives were removed or died that Windows will still boot.

Mar 28, 2020
Ok your good with the license. Create an MS account if you haven't yet so your license can be transferred.

See;

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change?amp

--

Trouble with not reinstalling is there's a mash of drivers and registry entries. Performance may seem ok but potentially could be better.

If you do reinstall Windows, disconnect all drives except the destination drive to prevent the possibility of Windows putting the boot loader elsewhere. Saves the hassle if said drives were removed or died that Windows will still boot.

okay, today i will do a backup ;) thx a lot