[SOLVED] Cpu Bottleneck?

Jul 1, 2020
I am upgrading my PC with 2 - EVGA 2080ti FTW3s with SLI. However, I'm concerned that the rest of my components will bottleneck the 2080tis. My current PC hardware can be found below. Any thoughts on what I need to upgrade to fully utilized the GPUs?

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero LGA 1151 (300 Series);
Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz;
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4;
SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" SSD

Solution
For starters, you're in a pickle before you even start your little project.
FYI, you need a 4-slot NVLink Bridge with the current motherboard.
1)The axial fan coolers do NOT do well in tight spaces. They need breathing room. This is where blower and liquid cooled models excel.
2)The EVGA 2080ti FTW3 is a 3 slot card.
The top card will suffocate and thermal throttle because it's too close to the bottom one to get the air it needs. Get a dual slot, or blower model. Those 3 slot cards are too big for SLI.

Once you've gotten around that:
-play at 4k, or use resolution scaling to 4K
-have a good quality, 1000w power supply
-play games that properly support SLI. There are games with half-assed hackjobs that yield minimal performance increases.

Furzumz

Reputable
What are you using the computer for?

If its for gaming, a single 2080ti alone is enough to completely clobber any video game on the market.

32GB of RAM is also more than enough for any game on the market. I've yet to see a game that recommends more than 16GB so you're plenty good there

SSD's are a lot quicker than normal hard drives so you're good there as well

With a 2080 ti (especially two) the only thing that would bottleneck you is your CPU

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)The axial fan coolers do NOT do well in tight spaces. They need breathing room. This is where blower and liquid cooled models excel.
The top card will suffocate and thermal throttle because it's too close to the bottom one to get the air it needs. Get a dual slot, or blower model. Those 3 slot cards are too big for SLI.

-play games that properly support SLI. There are games with half-assed hackjobs that yield minimal performance increases.

Solution
Jul 1, 2020

If its for gaming, a single 2080ti alone is enough to completely clobber any video game on the market.

32GB of RAM is also more than enough for any game on the market. I've yet to see a game that recommends more than 16GB so you're plenty good there

With a 2080 ti (especially two) the only thing that would bottleneck you is your CPU

I want to be able to play any game on the market @ 4k without dropping FPS below 60. However, I have frequent FPS issues and screen chopping with the setup I have now with only 1 2080ti. Is it the processor that is causing the issues or something else?

Jul 1, 2020

Great observation! That would have definitely ruined my day. Should I be able to run games with my current setup (1-2080ti) in 4k without FPS drops and screen chopping? Or do I invest in a newer motherboard that can run the new I9s?

Furzumz

Reputable
I want to be able to play any game on the market @ 4k without dropping FPS below 60. However, I have frequent FPS issues and screen chopping with the setup I have now with only 1 2080ti. Is it the processor that is causing the issues or something else?

I don't have experience with 4k gaming so I couldn't say for sure what exactly you'd need for that but what I do know is your processor is bottlenecking you

Take a look at this list your processor is a good ways down there

Then when you view the high end GPU chart your video card is in the #1 spot right now

I recommend a processor upgrade even if you don't go with a second 2080 ti. I also wouldn't recommend SLI as someone else already said. You may very well end up with more problems than what you have now by using it, that is if the games you want to play even support it

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Great observation! That would have definitely ruined my day. Should I be able to run games with my current setup (1-2080ti) in 4k without FPS drops and screen chopping? Or do I invest in a newer motherboard that can run the new I9s?
Wait till the new 3000 cards come out and buy the single best card out SLI is fairly dead. Some games you will actually loose FPS their fairly poor scaling even with games it helps.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I don't have experience with 4k gaming so I couldn't say for sure what exactly you'd need for that but what I do know is your processor is bottlenecking you

Take a look at this list your processor is a good ways down there

Then when you view the high end GPU chart your video card is in the #1 spot right now

I recommend a processor upgrade even if you don't go with a second 2080 ti. I also wouldn't recommend SLI as someone else already said. You may very well end up with more problems than what you have now by using it, that is if the games you want to play even support it
That's not true the 8700K will play any game at over 60 FPS that becomes even less of a issue as you move up in monitor resolution.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Might be okay for now for most games but paired with a 2080 ti its gonna hold him especially long term when more demanding games come out
Nope not at all 6 cores 12 threads still play anything out for a long time.

I think you don't understand how things work when running a 4K monitor. It puts your video card to the max and puts less stress on the CPU because their less frames to render.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What's your playstyle? Are you looking to do 4K 60? 4K 120?
Even the 2080Ti will struggle with 4K 120 if you don't drop the settings.

Plus, as already mentioned by Zerk2012, the RTX 3000 series is set to launch around the end of this year... but I guess you could still get the 2080Ti and just sell it later?

Might be okay for now for most games but paired with a 2080 ti its gonna hold him back especially long term when more demanding games come out
No way.
At higher resolutions, the limitation is the gpu; that 8700K will have an even longer 'shelf life' because of that.
At 1080p and lower, it's the other way around.

Furzumz

Reputable
Nope not at all 6 cores 12 threads still play anything out for a long time.

I think you don't understand how things work when running a 4K monitor. It puts your video card to the max and puts less stress on the CPU because their less frames to render.
No way.
At higher resolutions, the limitation is the gpu; that 8700K will have an even longer 'shelf life' because of that.
At 1080p and lower, it's the other way around.

My apologies, I stand corrected

Furzumz

Reputable
Yes...shutter or tearing. The game play isn't smooth. What is the cause of this?

If you're talking about screen tearing , to my understanding l its caused by your monitor's refresh rate being out of sync with your FPS.

If you have a monitor with g-sync you could try turning that on. Otherwise you could try looking in the graphics / video settings of games you play and look for v sync. v-sync will synchronize your frames with your monitor's refresh rate. The downside is it caps your FPS at a certain number

If that doesn't work there's a whole bunch of other stuff people said worked for them on the internet, seems to be a mixed bag tho. You could try searching up 'how to fix screen tearing' and try the different things people recommend

TRENDING THREADS