Cpu Bottleneck?

G

I currently have an amd fx 4100. If I get two crossfired 7950's. will these cards be bottlenecked? I know if certains game like skyrim will. But will the average modern game will it? I also have a motherboard that uses x16/x4 does this mean that both will fun in x4 or will one run in x16 and one run in x4. and will that effect the cards preformance.

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Yes to everything.

I'd recommend as others would to just get a single 7970. It is a hell of a card and is worth the money. If your motherboard can only run in x16/x4 modes I wouldn't recommend a XFire config. You won't see any benefit really.

Now for the bottleneck, I am not sure honestly. The only way I know how to tell is if you overclock your CPU and see if there was a performance boost.

I know this was a solution I read back earlier this year and for me it seemed to work.

I play BF3 and I have a i7 960 and a Radeon HD 5970. I could run the game on Ultra settings but sometimes would get to 25-100+ FPS. I read the issue somewhere that one's CPU could be a bottleneck, and the solution for that was to OC the CPU and see if you gain a performance boost, with that info I did, and I did see a performance boost.

Now with almost any map I play the lowest frames I get is about 40, but I can sometimes get into 70-140 Frames fairly consistently.

If someone else can help with how to test if a CPU will bottleneck a GPU it will be appreciated for the OP and myself.

I thought having a i7 960 Quad Core, while 3 years old now will still be fairly good, as it is a fairly decent CPU still.

G

I would only be able to afford one 7950 if I got a new mobo and an i5. Is the asus v pro worth it? or would you recomend a different mobo in that series. I will be looking at ivy bridges. I'm on a very tight budget of 650.

Is the p8z77 lk a good board. I don't like the idea of spending 200 dollars on a board that will have an unsupported socket 2 years from now.

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Also in my personal opinion get a single card now, save up more money, and make a completely new build next year with new hardware.

Like I said previously I have a i7 960 OC'd to 4.1Ghz. A Radeon HD5970 which I sold, 12GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD, and a 1TB HDD.

This isn't the latest but it still does very well for me.

What I plan on doing currently is just getting a new card no more than $400 so I can play most games maxed out and then upgrade next year. I don't have much money right now, and since most hardware out now is fairly dated in today's terms, I will wait for the next high end Intel CPU, and couple that with new RAM, GPU(more than likely, possibly SLI maybe not), HDD, and Motherboard.

I am going to try my very best to get the best stuff out there. I am a college student and have a job, so hopefully I will be able to do it by the summer.

The reason I go high end is because I want to play all my games maxed out and not have issues with them.

My rig with my CPU being OCd can play most games out there, but some I do have slight issues with, and its usually not the vanilla version of the games. For instance Skyrim heavily modded near launch 4+ gigs of mods, ran well but not as well as the vanilla game. BF3 I can't use any form of in game Post Processing or AA. In GTAIV I can't get the ICENhancer mod to work with 30+ at all, but that could be my own fault.

What my point is, don't waste your money now on a marginal upgrade to have to do a bigger upgrade in the near future.

You have $600 now, use a good $300 or so for a nice GPU, save the rest, and build up more money to do a full upgrade like I am going to do.