CPU Bottlenecking for GTX 1080 TI's?

Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
so I am making a build and I will have 2 gtx 1080 Ti's I want to know if the i7-7700k will bottleneck them, if so please give me an alternitive

WildCard999

Titan
The 7700K has 16 CPU lanes so there should be no issue running SLI however if your gaming depending on resolution you may see no improvement, less improvement or a fairly small improvement depending on the game/drivers/SLI optimization. I would read this article/benchmarks before considering buying another card as the additional price may not justify the performance.

https://us.hardware.info/reviews/7270/21/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review-incl-sli-faster-card-for-the-same-price-gtx-1080-ti-slinperformance

Umbra_the_Wolf

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
Dude, I have a 5820K @4.25GHz and one plain old Gigabyte GTX 1080 and I do all sorts of 4K streaming, 4K screen recording (Bandicam), 4K gaming max graphics, music editing and photoshop with ZERO issues and no lag. I use 16GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3GHz at stock timings. I overclocked the RAM timings some to 13-15-15-33 (vs 15-17-17-35) but saw no difference no matter how hard I pushed the system to justify the increase in memory errors reported by memtest86+ (despite being within safe error margins). An SSD helps loading times and I turn off Windows Page File so all the RAM is fully utilized.

I dunno what you're thinking about such an expensive system, but believe me... Intel's latest offerings and Nvidia's 1080ti are full on Demolition Man murder-death-kill for anything.

So far, despite maxed graphics all latest games are very nice FPS, even horribly optimized and demanding games like GTA5 or Just Cause 3 run 50 FPS steady with my system. A few gig 1080p video takes seconds to convert and 4K video editing takes an average of 4x longer, still only averaging minutes to convert 50+++GB videos.

Just get a 5820K on sale with a single 1080 and save hundreds for great performance. Remember that 99% of the things you want in a computer simply decrease TIME and actual performance is just a measure of how long you wait for something to finish. It's only in live action things like gaming that performance drops are annoying, and believe me, a system like this will not lag on these cheesy half-a**ed games that come out these days.

Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
So by the looks of it a lot of you are interested, the specs will be 2 gtx 1080ti's a 6950X or a 7700k processor, 64 gigs of ram, Asus hero motherboard, 1000W PSU, 3 Noctua case fans, 960 gig SSD and more, yes this is overkill but O have the money so why not?

Why not 2 Titan X pascal's instead? I mean if you love wasting money they're a much bigger waste than GTX 1080 ti's. I'm joking. But seriously you should never buy an overkill rig. Why? Because by the time you actually need that much gpu power something will come along that's more powerful for half the price or nearly half the price. So for example let's say you bought 2 Titan X pascals a few months ago. You spent $2400. Now GTX 1080 ti has come along and is about the same performance-wise but 2 of them are only $1400. Now think about this. Volta will arrive next year and it might be the same leap as from Maxwell to Pascal. History has shown that the x70 series is as powerful as the previous flagship or at least close to it. The GTX 570 was as powerful as the GTX 480, the GTX 670 beat the GTX 580, the GTX 770 was as powerful as the GTX 680, the GTX 970 was as powerful as the 780 ti, and the GTX 1070 is as powerful as the Titan X (Maxwell). So following that tradition the GTX 1170 should be as powerful as GTX 1080 ti but at half the price or nearly half the price. Volta should bring 4K to the masses if I'm correct here. So what I'm saying here is don't waste your money spending double now for what you'll spend half for next year unless you absolutely need it now.

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007

Smart assessment