CPU bottlenecking GPU?

Woods0

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
Hello guys, it's my first post on the forum, I hope it's under the right category.

While I'm playing overwatch sometimes I have random fps drops. Firstly I thought it was my GPU not enough for 144Hz, so I upgraded to GF 1060 6GB, but now I think my CPU is bottlenecking, since the usage is often at 99% in HWInfo.

Monitors: 1x FHD 144Hz + 1x FHD 60 Hz (I play on 144Hz and the second one is used for spotify, internet browser etc.)
CPU: i5 4670k 3.4Ghz OC'ed to 4.2 Ghz (temps are about 60C)
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Gigabyte Gaming G1
RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 800Mhz each(in dual channel 1600)
MOBO: MSI z87-g43
120 SSD + 1TB(game and the system on SSD)
Ping in game: 40ms stable
In OW I use high graphic settings.

What do you think?
ps.Should I get more ram?

Solution
Dynamic Reflections, Local Fog and Shadow Detail are 3 most taxing graphics settings in Overwatch, keep them on lowest or off for most FPS.
You are 100% limited by CPU in your case. When I disable HT on my I7 and play Overwatch I see my CPU all the time at 99-100%.
You can try and OC it should give you few extra frames but for true FPS increase you will need to swap CPU to i7 if you are that much desperate to get max FPS out of your GTX 1060.

KyleADunn

Honorable

I typically recommend at least a GTX 1070 for 1080p@144hz or 1440p@60hz.

You're pushing that 1060 pretty hard. That CPU at that OC would not bottleneck a 1060 at all.What are the frames dropping from, and to what?

I play overwatch at high on my gtx 970m laptop at about 120 fps however when I switch it to ultra I drop to 60 and below. I'd suggest you drop some settings (AA is the biggest thing). A 4670k and gtx 1060 are usually a really good combo and very well balanced.

Woods0

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
The frame rates are droping from 144 to 100 at least, in addition on medium settings(I've lowered those). What would you suggest? Lowering refreshing rate? Would 120 make any difference? If GPU isn't sufficent enough, I'm gonna overclock it. The thing is, in HWInfo GPU usage reaches maximum of 99%, when CPU reaches maximum of 100%. Soon I'm going to try overclocking CPU more, I think I can get 200MHz more out of it with Collaboratory Liquid Pro, but I don't know if it's gonna make any difference. I didn't buy 1070 because it would be an overkill for the rest of my setup.

If lowering your graphical settings doesn't improve framerates, you're CPU-bound. Changing refresh rate will not increase your framerate. Channing graphical settings will not reduce CPU load. Overclocking another 5% might buy you 5% more frames (~5fps).

Woods0

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

It will not increase my framerate, but it should smoothen the game.

Okay, the most recent test has shown that on medium settings CPU doesn't reach 100%, it's close but hasn't reached 100% so far and gaming feels better. Seems like the CPU is the issue.

UPDATE: battle.net helper was the real deal, consumed about 30% of the CPU according to the task manager. (I had two those apps running, other people in the web are reporting even more) I've turned off web browser acceleration and now I have only one process running and reaches 10% max, but usually less.

I will continue tests and post any updates if needed.

Do note that if you do get a better cpu your gpu will still be too weak to do 144hz on high settings in most games.

While true, it becomes possible to lower graphical settings and actually get 144fps.

st3v30

Admirable
Dynamic Reflections, Local Fog and Shadow Detail are 3 most taxing graphics settings in Overwatch, keep them on lowest or off for most FPS.
You are 100% limited by CPU in your case. When I disable HT on my I7 and play Overwatch I see my CPU all the time at 99-100%.
You can try and OC it should give you few extra frames but for true FPS increase you will need to swap CPU to i7 if you are that much desperate to get max FPS out of your GTX 1060.

Solution