CPU bottlenecking GPU

Jul 7, 2018
so i've recently bought a nvidia geforce 1060 3gb GPU and with this i did not change my CPU which is an Intel i5 4670 3.40GHz

just some extra info i didn't overclock anything the only thing that i have running is MSI genie
i have already checked if my pc is getting enough power for my hardware and the answer is yes it is indeed getting enough power

now my problem is when i'm gaming (doesn't matter what game) my CPU is mostly at 100% usage while my GPU is only at like 40% usage i've asked around and some people told me that this shouldn't be the case but they have no solution for me, so that's why i am asking it here, i'm sorry if there is already a thread open about this but i'm fairly new to this page, i always used it for research but not posting

hopefully someone can help me out with this or atleast explain my why this is happening and if this is correct or not

Solution
Well I personally know nothing about Black Desert, not even heard of it. However, I have heard of GTA:V. Now the thing about Gta:V is its thread usage. According to minimum specs it needs a quad thread cpu. There's a reason for that as the game is brutal on at least 4 threads, but is really optimized for 8 thread usage. So Gta:V runs on a i5-7600k, but runs like crud due to upto 100% cpu usage. Even an older I7 3770k gets better fps, simply due to thread availability.

You have a 4th Gen i5. That's 4 threads. Knowing what Gta:V can do, it's entirely plausible with the increasing graphics settings that you are just swamping the cpu.
GPU is fine for 1080P/60 Hz refresh, and CPU, although not an i7, is likely still capable fo generating 60 FPS rates in most games...

An i5 or even an i7 stays at 100% busy in most titles these days, so you are not going to 'fix it'....

If frame rates seem acceptable...play it.

Jul 7, 2018

i play most games in 2560x1440 if they support it, otherwise 2560x1080 and i can run most games on high , but thats about it, i have good frames in game but i'm not able to really do anything else besides gaming , let me add to that i have 16gb of ram, and what i mean with im not able to do anything besides gaming is that if i have a game open i can't really watch youtube etc while i was easily able to do this on windows7 now that i have windows10 its impossible

Jul 7, 2018

this is what confuses me as well i'm running a game like black desert online which takes a lot of recruitments and it runs perfectly fine (60fps+) at high settings, i did a complete fresh windows 10 install and updated all drivers etc as well, this is why i am so confused as to why my GPU is only at like 40% usage while my CPU is constantly at 100% usage

Jul 7, 2018

not anything that takes up to more then 0,5% usage or so, so not really anything that could bottleneck it, also in the task manager i can tell that its the game who puts my cpu at 100% and not just 1 game its pretty much all games that have decent graphics, it just feels like my cpu is running at half its speed or something

Jul 7, 2018

i've downloaded all driver via msi resources (which is my mobo MSI B85-G43 GAMING B85) and everything is also working perfectly fine audio, usb devices, my ssd/hdds no problems at all with my net either

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well I personally know nothing about Black Desert, not even heard of it. However, I have heard of GTA:V. Now the thing about Gta:V is its thread usage. According to minimum specs it needs a quad thread cpu. There's a reason for that as the game is brutal on at least 4 threads, but is really optimized for 8 thread usage. So Gta:V runs on a i5-7600k, but runs like crud due to upto 100% cpu usage. Even an older I7 3770k gets better fps, simply due to thread availability.

You have a 4th Gen i5. That's 4 threads. Knowing what Gta:V can do, it's entirely plausible with the increasing graphics settings that you are just swamping the cpu.

Solution
If the games are running ok, I'd count myself lucky, and stop trying to make assorted percentages in task manager meet the ratios of CPU/GPU usage you consider 'good', likely a rare event...

Many of today's games are going to have high cpu usage regardless of chosen resolution (4c/4t will likely stay at 100%), and, GPU usage will vary massively according to res/details and frame rate capabilities of CPU...