[SOLVED] CPU bottlenecking RTX 2080S? (ray-tracing, 1440p@165hz)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 5, 2019
Hi,

I recently upgraded my GTX 970 to an RTX 2080 Super, with that I also upgraded my main display from 1080p@60hz to 1440p@144hz (165hz OC). My CPU is the i5-8400, with a Dark Rock 4 cooler to support a planned future CPU upgrade. So with my new beefy GPU I decided to try Battlefield V with ray-tracing enabled, but this resulted in unplayable stuttering and what looked similar to "double vision". I've also had no luck in getting G-Sync to work on my verified G-Sync compatible monitor (https://www.asus.com/Monitors/TUF-Gaming-VG27AQ/), every full-screen game flickers when G-Sync is enabled, the internet shows no solutions for this other than updating drivers (which I have done).

Ultimately my question is: could all or some of these effects be caused by a CPU bottleneck? I remember people telling me that my CPU would be too weak to support 144hz+ properly in the first place.

Solution
Frankly, I am not sure what all the debate is about. The MINIMUM requirement for this game is an Intel Core i5-6600K, the recommendation WITHOUT ray tracing is a i7-4790 , and WITH tracing, a i7-8700, Get a better CPU, case closed.
Heaven would still be a viable test. What if his gpu still doesn't reach 100% load when running it? Sure the test doesn't involve the CPU but could reveal potential power issues with the graphics card. People often assume cpu bottleneck when performance isn't optimal, when there are many other variables at play. Issues with game play only when RTX is enabled makes me inclined to suspect a GPU limitation and not the CPU.

To be fair the minimum for DXR enabled it says "i5-8400", the one I have now, I assume the minimum would be without any issues..
Um, no. Remember when you were in school (maybe you still are) and got the minimum grade to pass a class? Were you excited about how good you did? No. You can get by with the minimum, yes, but you won't get all the visual effects and the high-5's with the minimum.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

larkspur

Distinguished
Honestly I think the biggest indicator that there is a monitor, GPU, (or GPU driver issue) is that when G-sync is on you are getting flickering. That is strange and shouldn't be happening. Flickering and stuttering are totally different. You said its flickering... is it flickering or stuttering? Did you try shutting off your monitor's factory OC?

Someone else already asked but I'll ask again - when you upgraded from the 970, did you use DDU to completely remove the old drivers before installing the new drivers?

Your main question was - could this be CPU-related? "Double vision" with RT on? "Flickering" of the monitor with G-sync on? Nope, those aren't CPU-related issues... stuttering could be, but not flickering or double vision... I'd try without the monitor's OC, wipe the drivers with DDU, reseat the GPU, check all cables and try again with the newest stable driver release. And if you can borrow a different DP cable to try you might just try that. Worth a shot anyway...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I've seen quite a few threads on different hardware forums started by people complaining about stuttering, all using Intel 9400f or 8400. Maybe something about Intels lower frequency 6 core parts and online multiplayer games not suiting each other?

144Hz has taken off in a big way in the last couple of years and high demand for cpu pre-rendered frames has increased. All 6 core CPUs including 8600k/9600k are being maxed out. Game code, physics, multiplayer, map loading etc + frames is a huge job for cpus. It's a balancing mission with frame rates.

Watch;

Reactions: Flayed
Aug 5, 2019
144Hz has taken off in a big way in the last couple of years and high demand for cpu pre-rendered frames has increased. All 6 core CPUs including 8600k/9600k are being maxed out. Game code, physics, multiplayer, map loading etc + frames is a huge job for cpus. It's a balancing mission with frame rates.

Watch;
I noticed this yesterday when I was running BF 5 (RTX on/off made no CPU load difference, only GPU). CPU almost constantly under 100% load at 3.8Ghz. I ordered a i7-8700k yesterday and I will probably install it tonight.

Do you guys have any OC experience with i7-8700k?

Aug 5, 2019
I would test the 8700k before overclocking it.

The i7 may fix stuttering, but the other artifacts seen with rtx on are unlikely to be fixed by this.
I played BF 5 yesterday with RTX on multiplayer. I did no longer see any double vision or major stuttering issues (some stuttering, but that just has to be CPU cap, as it was constantly at full load). I think for 1440p@165hz gameplay I just need to upgrade me CPU to have more cores (for CPU heavy games) and a higher boost clock for better core performance. I will test the i7 before OC'ing, that is a good suggestion!

Aug 5, 2019
I would expect a little stutter from that cpu in a demanding title. The i7s hyperthreading will help a lot.
Also, in my case, a re-seat of the CPU and its cooler can help my situation. I've had weird issues with my PC after installing my new air cooler (Dark Rock 4). I installed it with the mobo in my case and it was very clumsy and difficult, I ended up screwing the screws too tight and my PC wouldn't even boot. I kept trying while unscrewing only the left (only reachable) screw until it would boot and left it that way, but currently it doesn't feel right in my mind to leave it like that, I suspect the right screw is now too tight and the left too loose (it doesn't wiggle though..).

Aug 5, 2019
Tensioning screws, if mechanism isn't overtight proof, is just screw down in an X pattern with a screwdriver with little force until fully screwed, then half turn with force.
The Dark Rock 4 only has 2 (horizontal) tensioning screws. I thought this was a really weird design.. If you were to use 2 screws then at least make them vertical right? The leverage of the CPU cooler is very hard to counter with a 1 inch wide plate..

Ugg tell me about it.

I have reseated my freezer 34 like 3 times in the past week after upgrading my cpu a couple times.

The fan is a pain to install.
Did you install it while the MoBo was inside the case? Next time I'm touching my cooler I'm removing my mobo..

larkspur

Distinguished
Well definitely let us know how it goes with your 8700k. Sounds like that driver update may have fixed the 'double vision' thing so that's good. I'm still curious why you couldn't get gsync working with any game. Did you have any luck with that?

Aug 5, 2019
Well definitely let us know how it goes with your 8700k. Sounds like that driver update may have fixed the 'double vision' thing so that's good. I'm still curious why you couldn't get gsync working with any game. Did you have any luck with that?
When i was playing BF5 with g-sync and RTX enabled yesterday, I did notice flickering still. But not as bad by far as the other times for some reason.. But definitely still there, although that could definitely be because of frame dips below the minimum freesync range. I will enable an FPS counter next time and double check that. Will post later/tomorrow with i7-8700k results!

TRENDING THREADS