CPU Bottlenecking?

nfarnham2001

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Okay, I have an HP a6203w desktop. I am building my own machine in the fall of 2011, but until then, I am buying a new PSU and video card. I have been looking at the 9800 GT 512MB, or the ATI 5670 512MB, I have been told the 9800 GT is better, but that ATI does better with AMD CPU's....

My CPU is an AMD Athlon 64x2 4400+2.3ghz. As I would have to upgrade the Motherboard, new DDR3 Ram, etc for a new processor, I am just going to go with Video Card and PSU.

Will it bottleneck it?

I will be playing games like World of Warcraft, Dragon Age Origins, Sims 2 and Sims 3, among others. They will be as graphic intensive as Dragon Age, MAYBE a little bit more. I do NOT wish to run everything at ZOMGSUPER max graphics, but at LEAST medium settings to low settings at SMOOTH 30 or more FPS.

9800GT and 5670 are comparable cards.

You will perform as well with either card with a AMD cpu (or an Intel cpu for that matter)

Check to make certain that you have a pci-e slot, and that the graphics card will physically fit.

Do not go cheap on a psu. Antec, Seasonic, XFX, Corsair and PC P&C are quality brands.

Sandy bridge will launch Jan 5, you might want to wait a bit and plan on that.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row

nfarnham2001

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

Maybe that is what I meant, I am new with this. I meant the CPU will limit it overall no matter how good my video card is.

I don't much like the term "bottleneck"

It implies that if something is too strong, performance might decline. Not so here.

A stronger graphics card WILL improve performance. The question is by how much.

I suggest you run these two tests:
1) Run your games, but reduce the resolution and eye candy to a minimum. This will simulate what will happen if you upgrade to a stronger graphics card. If your FPS improves, it indicates that your cpu is capable of driving a stronger graphics card to higher levels of FPS.

2) Keeping your graphics resolution and settings the same, reduce your cpu power. Do this by removing the overclock, or by using windows power management to set a maximum cpu% of perhaps 70%. If your FPS drops significantly, it indicates that your current cpu is a limiting factor, and that a faster cpu would help.

nfarnham2001

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

Yeah I have done the first before, and noticed anywhere from a 10 to 20 fps increase depending on the game, and how much I lower everything. Although, I have noticed, if I have a game at medium to low settings, and THEN take it to the absolute minimum, I don't noticed as big of a difference, maybe 2 to 5 fps, but if I lower the resolution, it is a larger jump, 5 to 10 fps.

Never tried the second option. I am just trying to best upgrade my computer. I am working with about 200 to 280 dollars, for a PSU and Video Card. So I was asking here. I will be hard pressed to use newegg, not that they are bad, but previous things I have ordered offline on other websites, as well as other hardware in the past I have purchased off newegg, the local UPS service and postal offices don't know the proper way to carry items of fragile needs. So I am trying to buy at local stores, and local retailers.

Thanks

nfarnham2001

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

Oh yeah I def am planning on getting a PSU strong enough to support future upgrades. The largest my MoBo can handle *stock mobo* is an AMD ahtlon 64 x2 5600+ at 2.8ghz. I thought about doing that upgrade, but it is kind of not worth it, or is it? I don't know a lot about computers. I can PROBABLY afford to, spend about 80 to 100 on PSU and Video card each and maybe have 60 to 90 left for processor? But it can't be larger than that, and has to be an AM2 AMD dual core processor >.< Just search the specs for a6203w desktop on HP site.

nfarnham2001

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

To be honest? I am not concerned about money for the next build, as I have already lined up income sources to feed that build. If I afford it, would I notice any gain from that processor upgrade?