Mar 19, 2019
Hello, new to the Forum. I’m stuck on this issue of my GPU underperforming specifically in Fortnite. I have the XFX Rx 580 gts xxx edition. CPU is Ryzen 3 2200g. I’m playing stretched resolution with all settings low and can barely hit 144 fps and experience severe drops particularly in fights as low as to 60 fps. Wondering if there could be a bottleneck issue. Any help is appreciated thank you.

CPU Components
MOBO: B450 Pro M4
RAM: 2x4 GB Patriot Skill (3000mhz)
CPU: Ryzen 3 2200g
GPU: XFX RX 580 gts xxx (8GB)
PSU: Corsair vs650 (650W)

I'm not sure what 'stretched resolution' is, but, the RX580 is a good mid-range card, perhaps suitable for 1920x1080 at pretty good settings, or even 1440P at reduced settings, but, probably not optimal for sustaining 144 fps minimum at either resolution, and, for sure the 2200G will likely never be chosen as the CPU 'most likely to sustain 144 fps' in most games out in the last 5-6 years....

First thing I'd change is the CPU, jump to a 2600 or 2600X...then add 8 GB more RAM...

Reactions: ThomasSchmidt
Actually Fotnite isn't very well optimised and doesn't use CPU cores very well... here is an article on Toms on the subject:
https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/fortnite-best-performance-benchmarks,review-34288-6.html

Single thread performance is more important to Fortnite than core count, if you are running the 2200g at stock speeds, then overclocking the cpu cores should give you a bump in frame rates. Your motherboard and power supply should handle the overclock fine, what cooler are you using?

Actually Fotnite isn't very well optimised and doesn't use CPU cores very well... here is an article on Toms on the subject:
https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/fortnite-best-performance-benchmarks,review-34288-6.html

Single thread performance is more important to Fortnite than core count, if you are running the 2200g at stock speeds, then overclocking the cpu cores should give you a bump in frame rates. Your motherboard and power supply should handle the overclock fine, what cooler are you using?
If it really prefers single thread then default settings can boost a single core higher then you can overclock all cores.
You can see this in a few benchmarks where oc is a tad slower than default.

Mar 19, 2019

Stock coolers

So basically suggesting an OC on the cpu?
No, he's saying that at default settings AMD's XFR (Extended Frequency Range) should give you the best single-core results. It automatically boosts single-core performance to the best it can do for your given cooling potential. Example is I get 4.35GHz on single core boost on default settings, but if I overclock all cores I only get stable 4.2GHz. I get so high on default because of my better cooling solution. It was less before I installed that, but default settings still give the best single-core results.

Mar 19, 2019
No, he's saying that at default settings AMD's XFR (Extended Frequency Range) should give you the best single-core results. It automatically boosts single-core performance to the best it can do for your given cooling potential. Example is I get 4.35GHz on single core boost on default settings, but if I overclock all cores I only get stable 4.2GHz. I get so high on default because of my better cooling solution. It was less before I installed that, but default settings still give the best single-core results.
Ahhhh, so I just reset to default in Ryzen Master because I OCed a few things and im actually getting more consistent frame rates and staying at 144 a good 90% of the time. Very helpful who would’ve thought default is better. Would you suggest reverting my gpu oc as well? Using msi afterburner

Ahhhh, so I just reset to default in Ryzen Master because I OCed a few things and im actually getting more consistent frame rates and staying at 144 a good 90% of the time. Very helpful who would’ve thought default is better. Would you suggest reverting my gpu oc as well? Using msi afterburner
We are only talking about CPU overclock,leave RAM overclocked and GPU as well.

Yeah, it's just the AMD Ryzen CPUs that have XFR that allow it to perform better (for single-threaded applications/games) because they can typically boost higher on a single-core than they can overclock on all cores. GPUs and RAM do not have the same design.

Yeah, it's just the AMD Ryzen CPUs that have XFR that allow it to perform better (for single-threaded applications/games) because they can typically boost higher on a single-core than they can overclock on all cores. GPUs and RAM do not have the same design.

I didn't think the 2200G has XFR though?

Base clock is stated as 3.5ghz with max boost of 3.7ghz, so overclocking to 4ghz on a 2200G should be faster.

If the machine is performing better without the overclock it suggests the cooling isn't enough, or it's starved of power as a 2200G is a cpu you should overclock for best results with an external gpu usually.

The Ryzen 3 2200G does have XFR. https://www.pcmag.com/review/364408/amd-ryzen-3-2200g

The stock cooler is not good enough for overclocking it to 4.0GHz. The better the cooler you have, the higher XFR will boost the CPU. Overclocking disables XFR and the single-thread boost. If you are focusing single-threaded performance, the CPU will stay cooler on stock/default settings and the single-core should boost higher than an overclock that can't handle the temps. This is just a theory, but it was a theory that proved true with my 2700X. I'm can't say for sure about the 2200G.