[SOLVED] CPU box or Tray.

Mar 13, 2022
Hello, I'm planning on upgrading my amd athlon x4 950 to a ryzen 5 3600. The tray version of the cpu is currently like 100€ cheaper for me. Now I understand the differences between the two, the box comes with the cooler and warranty whereas the tray does not. My question is, I already have an AMD wraith stealth cooler that came with my old x4 950, will I need a different cpu cooler for the ryzen 5 3600 because I'm really not sure about that.

Solution
Hello, I'm planning on upgrading my amd athlon x4 950 to a ryzen 5 3600. The tray version of the cpu is currently like 100€ cheaper for me. Now I understand the differences between the two, the box comes with the cooler and warranty whereas the tray does not. My question is, I already have an AMD wraith stealth cooler that came with my old x4 950, will I need a different cpu cooler for the ryzen 5 3600 because I'm really not sure about that.
Trey (no cooler) is sold to system builders, not 100% sure but AMD warranties them too, just directly while Box is warrantied by seller and than they deal with AMD. If you want you can check with AMD.
I would take trey and use price difference for a nice cooler, better than boxed one.
AMD...
Trey (no cooler) is sold to system builders, not 100% sure but AMD warranties them too, just directly while Box is warrantied by seller and than they deal with AMD. If you want you can check with AMD.
I would take trey and use price difference for a nice cooler, better than boxed one.
AMD wraith stealth cooler wasn't original OEM cooler with Phenom. It started only with late FX CPUs. It should fit though.

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
D

Deleted member 362816

AMD wraith stealth cooler wasn't original OEM cooler with Phenom. It started only with late FX CPUs. It should fit though.

What are you talking about box retail's warranties are handled by the seller? I guess if it was in their return period. AMD handles warranty for both Tray and Retail.

What are you talking about box retail's warranties are handled by the seller? I guess if it was in their return period. AMD handles warranty for both Tray and Retail.
Depends, in my country, seller/store is responsible for warranty for first 2 years so in that time you deal with them and they can take it up with AMD or whom they bought it from. Sure, you can also deal with AMD but store is much closer and has to abide by local laws.
I didn't know what was relation with Trey vs. Retail because Trey are not supposed to be sold in stores or otherwise to private persons, just system builders.