CPU Building I need help i know nothing at all about computers!

Amanda_23

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hey, my Husband I are creating a webseries, It's a Let's Play Webseries for a Video Game Channel on YT! I had a bet with my Husband Travis, That i could make a computer by myself (Well i consider this kinda by myself) So i have this really ancient computer I got from my Father's Attic! I need it to be able to record easily without lagging and all of that in the games we play like Diablo III, TC2 Beta, WoW, and Amnesia. Also i need to have this computer actually be able to run the games listed above! Um these are all the computer terms i know soooo....
The hardrive is 500g i believe
The Graphics card is a Radeon X1300/X1500 Series (I had to google how to find that out :/)
The Processor is a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
With 2.0 G of Ram
That's all i know of computery stuff. Also, i would love if this was all very cost affordable so it looks as if i didnt just go out and buy a new computer and instead it looks like i actually refurbished a computer all by myself so i can rub it in his face. Please let me know!
I know its mainly going to be a new processor and a new graphics card i think... at least.

We need to know the motherboard model. if its an AM2+ board you MIGHT be able to do something with it. If its an AM2 socket you're pretty much going to have to start from scratch.

Also need to know the PSU(power supply) model to see if it can handle new parts

Amanda_23

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

Ok! How do i find out what motherboard model i have? and PSU?

Also have a look at the info in this link. Number 4 is a step by step guide to building a PC so you can take a look and see if you're up to it. Its really pretty easy once you have the parts.

www.tomshardware.com/forum/288241-31-buyer-guides-troubleshooting-tips

I like to refer to building computers as "Adult Legos" :lol: then again...Legos are fun at any age :na:

Amanda_23

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

That looks just like the one im using but the one im using has a bunch of USB slots in the middle below the disc tray.
Im so hopeless. Im sorry!

If that's it, you're in an even worse situation :(

Amanda_23

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

I downloaded it but it downloaded loads of other things as well im not sure what im suppose to do with like PDFCreator and Wajam etc.

Amanda_23

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
So um.... You guys Just got VERY computer jargony on me! I will just explain to you what i dont know... what do you mean by the most limiting factor is the CPU? um whats Socket 939? and i went to that link and Let's say i was looking into the matrix after i went down below processors haha... Im sorry :(

Socket 939 is the form factor of the motherboard cpu socket

that dictates which cpu you can run

when newer pcs come out they change the socket type--so you cant just put in the latest cpu in an older board

TRENDING THREADS