[SOLVED] CPU burnt marks on the top of the pins

Solution
It turns out that its just some black stains i guess because i cleaned it with a brush and and eraser i succesfully rub the other that has a black spot on it, but where do you think those black spots came from its just sitting on my old motherboard.

and btw this is the spot that im talking about
View: https://imgur.com/iWnDxav
Good....as I said....I'd use it.....and after seeing it....I'd use it.
It's still kind of hard for me to see enough detail in the pic to speculate on where they came from.
The top of the pins on a CPU aren't making contact in most cases. It's the side of the pin.

On a motherboard the top of the pins in the socket do make contact so in that case black on top of the pins would be a problem.

If you bought this from a store like this I would just return it. No sense in dealing with the hassle. If you bought it as is second hand or from someone on line then you maybe out of luck.

Patrik Knolyn

Reputable
Apr 9, 2017
The top of the pins on a CPU aren't making contact in most cases. It's the side of the pin.

On a motherboard the top of the pins in the socket do make contact so in that case black on top of the pins would be a problem.

If you bought this from a store like this I would just return it. No sense in dealing with the hassle. If you bought it as is second hand or from someone on line then you maybe out of luck.

i bought it in a perfect condition i upgraded my whole system and tried to detach my old cpu (the one that have a black marks on the pin) and its still working im just worrying if this could be a deffective cpu or someday it will run bad because of the burnt marks

i bought it in a perfect condition i upgraded my whole system and tried to detach my old cpu (the one that have a black marks on the pin) and its still working im just worrying if this could be a deffective cpu or someday it will run bad because of the burnt marks
I'd run it and not worry about it. I don't think there is much you are going to be able to do about it anyway.

Also, are you sure they are burn marks? Could they be stained? Could they be oxidized? Could they be coated with something from the air?

....and as was said...the side of the pin tends to be more important as far as connections go.

Patrik Knolyn

Reputable
Apr 9, 2017
I'd run it and not worry about it. I don't think there is much you are going to be able to do about it anyway.

Also, are you sure they are burn marks? Could they be stained? Could they be oxidized? Could they be coated with something from the air?

....and as was said...the side of the pin tends to be more important as far as connections go.

It turns out that its just some black stains i guess because i cleaned it with a brush and and eraser i succesfully rub the other that has a black spot on it, but where do you think those black spots came from its just sitting on my old motherboard.

Good....as I said....I'd use it.....and after seeing it....I'd use it.
It's still kind of hard for me to see enough detail in the pic to speculate on where they came from.

Reactions: Patrik Knolyn
Solution