CPU burnt or dead?

Nikodar

Commendable
Feb 25, 2017
So I had disassembled my PC, to transfer is to another case (i ordered the wrong case, so i build my pc again in my old case, besides the point).
I've recieved Error code 00 on my motherboard: MSI z170a M7, and i've tried unplugging and plugging in almost everything. I've taken the CPU out 3 times and inserted it again, no pins bend, but i noticed this on my CPU: https://imgur.com/gallery/zgHTBUc. Is it possibly fried or burnt, as i don't know where the material would come from (my thermal paste have not gotten outside the top part of my CPU (the area that touches my cooler).
I've once had a fail on my watercooler, and i got a new one, and my PC have been working fine since then (last year in january). Does anyone know if that have anything related or no, or if the black material around the edge of the "heatsink" could be the issue for my PC not posting (the metal "backplate" of the CPU socket does not get warm, and i am 100% sure all power cables are plugged in correctly).
Ty for responses.

Specs:
MSI Z170A M7
I7-6700K
Corsair H100i V2
Asus GTX 1080 STRIX Advanced Edition (Brand new)
Samsung 850 Evo 256 GB SSD
2x Seagate Barracude 2TB HDD
Corsair RM750X

Well, cpus nowadays shuts the system down in case of an overheat to prevent damage... but i can't tell if its fried... one thing for sure, if you can touch the processor while your rig is powered up, then it's not kicking in... you'd burn your finger immediately, also, some motherboards doesn't let the system boot if the cpu cooler's fan header is not connected.

additionally, I don't think an overheat would cause any visual damage on the heatsink, even after burning the die

Nikodar

Commendable
Feb 25, 2017

Ty for a quick response.
I've tried to connect the fan hearders on my CPU cooler to multiple different connections, but there is only 1 way to connect it, which is the current way I do it (cooler setup guide from manufacturer)
I've also updated with my specs since your response.