[SOLVED] CPU came out with the cooler (what the...)

erdeicsalad10

Commendable
Nov 8, 2017
So i just wanted to repaste and clear my whole PC then this happened:
What should i do to not to damage the CPU? Hair dryer for a few minutes would do the job, or the heat is bad? I don't wanna delid it lol.
It's an R5 3600 and an FSP Windale 4 cooler.

Solution
What should i do to not to damage the CPU? Hair dryer for a few minutes would do the job, or the heat is bad? I don't wanna delid it lol.
Take a length of dental floss and pull it through the thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink. you may need a friend to hold the heatsink but I hold it between my knees and pull carefully.

Also, before slipping CPU back in socket sight down each row of the pins, in both directions, under a good light. Look for any pins not standing straight up like a good soldier. That pin will need to be gently nudged back in line first. Slip a .5mm pentel pencil tip (with...
Take a length of dental floss and pull it through the thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink. you may need a friend to hold the heatsink but I hold it between my knees and pull carefully.

Also, before slipping CPU back in socket sight down each row of the pins, in both directions, under a good light. Look for any pins not standing straight up like a good soldier. That pin will need to be gently nudged back in line first. Slip a .5mm pentel pencil tip (with lead removed) over it to do the nudging.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD
Solution