[SOLVED] Cpu cannot go above 20% usage

Oct 23, 2021
Is it normal or i'm doing things wrong, i got i9 9900/2x8 3000/980pro/ml240lv2 Lcooler and when i play games like just cause 3, cpu doesn't get used or get hot, i mean idle is 27c load 32c and opening multiple games til i see 4 fps, it's still not going above 30% usage with 36c and it just makes me annoyed i saw peoples getting 50fps in gtaV with i5's UHD630. I did not built this pc for games i just wanted to have something looks good and performs good in daily uses (movies basic games like terraria) but sometimes i just wanna play something better but this cpu aint trying to give me fps. I've been on bios only once for xmp, not changed anything. Also motherboard is b365m ds3h gigabyte.
other informations:
psu is 600w 80+gold
rams hyperx fury 3k/2x8
i know components are not for i9 9900 nonk, its for fun and looks

also can i ask, do i need to change mb or psu? or even the power cable, do i have to plug it alone?
aand what can i do in bios.

Thank you so much for advices and helping me.

Solution
Usage isn't how much of the cpu is used, its how much resources it uses. How much cache, how much bandwidth, how many threads, or cores, how much power etc. Not too hard to see 1 or 2 cores maxed out at 100%, yet usage only show 30%.

So whatever the usage number is, is nothing compared to what is happening. And no, having 100% usage doesn't mean you get max performance, it means the cpu is maxed out and cannot give any more as it's out of resources to use. You could be at 100% and only 2.5GHz on all cores because they are thermally choked, or 4.6GHz because you have good cooling. Performance is about what the cpu Can do, not what it Is doing.

4fps is not playable. If you are getting 4fps, I'd be thinking you are using the integrated...
Thats normal for the time being and your cpu temp is at 27c on a i9 9900 ? Most overclockers would jump for joy to keep it at that mid low tempature while throwing everything at it.
For the onboard gpu part, I woudln't that game at it without 16gb of memory to 32gb which will give you more gpu bandwith while playing on medium high specs.
Read this link I am posting here, it will give you a better understanding of what will work on your current rig and won't work well on your current rig.
https://www.quora.com/Can-I-play-GT...eneration-4GB-RAM-Intel-UHD-graphics-in-60fps

I'd look at HWMonitor, then run CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU and make a note of what clock speeds are achieved/maintained for a 5 minute period...

Even a basic i9-9900 should maintain at least 3 GHz across all cores, and, 3.5 GHz would seem more likely. (It will not, as only a 65W TDP cpu and such power limits in BIOS enabled, match/maintain clock speeds anywhere near speeds we are used to with the 9900K and stay within TDP specs, although a Z390 board would likely be able to run it at 4.5-4.6 GHz or so and at 125-140 W TDP...)

If you are only seeing 800 MHz CPU clock speeds, you likely do not have chipset drivers installed.

Oct 23, 2021
I'd look at HWMonitor, then run CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU and make a note of what clock speeds are achieved/maintained for a 5 minute period...

Even a basic i9-9900 should maintain at least 3 GHz across all cores, and, 3.5 GHz would seem more likely. (It will not, as only a 65W TDP cpu and such power limits in BIOS enabled, match/maintain clock speeds anywhere near speeds we are used to with the 9900K and stay within TDP specs, although a Z390 board would likely be able to run it at 4.5-4.6 GHz or so and at 125-140 W TDP...)

If you are only seeing 800 MHz CPU clock speeds, you likely do not have chipset drivers installed.
cpu is running on 4.90 idle/load literally everytime, i just can't stress my cpu. Opening 4k 2 video+ 10 chrome tabs+ csgo+stranded deep and it's still max 42% cpu usage i just dont understand that. Also in these conditions i'm playing stranded deep on 2-5fps at 42% usage so isn't that means, if i use cpu more i can get more performance right? whole problem is, i just can't achieve 50% usage.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Usage isn't how much of the cpu is used, its how much resources it uses. How much cache, how much bandwidth, how many threads, or cores, how much power etc. Not too hard to see 1 or 2 cores maxed out at 100%, yet usage only show 30%.

So whatever the usage number is, is nothing compared to what is happening. And no, having 100% usage doesn't mean you get max performance, it means the cpu is maxed out and cannot give any more as it's out of resources to use. You could be at 100% and only 2.5GHz on all cores because they are thermally choked, or 4.6GHz because you have good cooling. Performance is about what the cpu Can do, not what it Is doing.

4fps is not playable. If you are getting 4fps, I'd be thinking you are using the integrated graphics, not the graphics card, and the cpu has absolutely no need to go faster or higher GHz to put out such low frames.

Use Prime95 with AVX technologies ALL disabled and use the Small FFT (not smallest) option. That will stress the cpu to 100% usage and no reliance on graphics. Monitor the temps and voltages with HWInfo64. If cooling is sufficient, you should be seeing 4.6 GHz across all cores. If not, find out why. If it does, the cpu isn't to blame, there's a different issue.

Reactions: ZoneKruger
Solution
Oct 23, 2021

4fps is not playable. If you are getting 4fps, I'd be thinking you are using the integrated graphics, not the graphics card, and the cpu has absolutely no need to go faster or higher GHz to put out such low frames.

Use Prime95 with AVX technologies ALL disabled and use the Small FFT (not smallest) option. That will stress the cpu to 100% usage and no reliance on graphics. Monitor the temps and voltages with HWInfo64. If cooling is sufficient, you should be seeing 4.6 GHz across all cores. If not, find out why. If it does, the cpu isn't to blame, there's a different issue.
This was so much clear than everyone else thank you for that, also i did the stress test and temperature was 44c max 28c min @4.75 GHz
cpu coreV= 0,6600-1,2600
Also about that 4 fps gameplay, that was my manual stress test to see if cpu stats rising or not. I usually play on 40-50fps.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
NOP being a machine language instruction and its assembly language mnemonic, that does nothing, a non-operation.

And every last one of those NOPs instructions starts out in storage, goes through the ram, gets dealt with by the memory controller, processed by the cpu taking up bandwidth, iops, IPC, and yes, time. It might be nothing more than a crap-ton of 0's, but that still takes up processor resources just to get the cpu to waste time deciding there's nothing to do.