Cpu capped at 2.15 Ghz

jaydutt247

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018
my CPU speed is caped at around 2.15 to 2.17 GHz i recently got a new GPU and realised that it wasn't at fast as it should be i went on to task manager and it was capped at around 2.15 GHz i've had problems in the past with CPU speed and not sure whether its to do with that, or because theirs a different issue with my PC.
My specs :

rog strix 1080 8gb
3200mhz corsair 2x4 ram
ryzen 7 1700x
950evo ssd
1tb hard drive

Check the temps of the cpu, keep below 70c for optional performace, though it wont hurt to go slightly over.

Make sure windows power plan is set to Balenced or high performance mode and not set to power save.

Power Plans
High performace = CPU does not down clock what so ever and stays running at its base clocks, but will still boost its speeds depending on temps

Balenced = CPU will downclock at idle or vary light loads, ideal setting for most users as even light gaming it will boost back to base clock speeds, its rarely a problem and has the same performance as the high performace plan.

Power Save = CPU stays at idle clocks and will hardly ever move from that speed, since you have an 8 core it will still feel snappy, but of course gaming performance will take a noticable hit to fps.

Hope this helps some.

You never said what version of windows you are running? If you are on Windows 7 or 8.1, Them versions of windows is not supported with that CPU, and clock speeds will be limited. Only version of Windows it supports natively is Windows 10.

If you are running Windows 10, you may have to update the bios on your motherboard.

jaydutt247

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018

nothing is working, i've tried multiple things and noting seems to work or help it if thee is something else that you could suggest which will fix my problem then that would be great however if not can you recommend any websites or people that i can let them fix it?

Are you on windows 7 or 8?

jaydutt247

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018

Windows 64bit

Windows 64bit don't mean anything, you could be running Windows XP 64 bit for all we know. You need to check to see what version of windows you are running.

If you are on Windows 7, The CPU is not supported in that version of Windows, The CPU will stay at a low clock speed and perform pretty bad.

If you are on Windows 8, or 8.1, it same story, The CPU is not supported, and will stay at a low clock speed.

Windows 10 is the only version of Windows that supports the Ryzen 7 1700x, meaning the CPU will clock up to spec, and performance will be as expected.

Type in the Windows search, System Information. It will tell you what version of windows you are running.

Or Right click on Computer, and then Properties, and it will tell you the version of Windows that is installed on the machine.

jaydutt247

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018

jaydutt247

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018

jaydutt247

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018

jaydutt247

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018

jaydutt247

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018

Not sure, How do I check? Because i’ll check when I get back home, if not can you send me a link to a download?

jaydutt247

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018

im on windows windows 10 home and i also diddnt know how to update my motherboard on bios

Ok, since you are on Windows 10, Windows is not the problem.

I suggest Looking at HWmonitor and watch the clock speeds of the CPU, Leave HWmonitor running and Launch a game that relatively demanding, run around for min or to, Go back to the desktop and look at HWmonitor and each core speed, should see 3800mhz (3.8ghz) or around there, maybe even higher then that if its working properly.

What windows will do by default is it will allow the CPU to go into a lower power state when there is not a whole lot for it to do, Its normal, The CPU clock speeds should go back up when it needs it, normally games will push the CPU back up to its base clock, which yours in 3.8ghz.

TaskManager is never the most accurate thing to go by either.

HWMonitor = https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

jaydutt247

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018

file:///C:/Program%20Files/CPUID/HWMonitor/HWMonitor%20l.txt
that is what it says as im not sure what im looking for
but i dont think that there is anywhere where it says GHz but it just says MHz