[SOLVED] CPU capped at .80 GHz

Aiden271

Reputable
Aug 2, 2016
I have an i7 7700k, so the clock speed it supposed to be capped somewhere around 4.2 GHz., but for about a month now my CPU caps at a stagnant .80 GHz. Here are some solutions from articles I have read as well as what the result was:

• Install Throttlestop and disable BD PROCHOT. Doing this uncaps my CPU and everything is fine until I reboot or put it to sleep. It then caps itself at .80 GHz once again. It has acted as a temporary solution so far, but the boot process takes so much longer because my CPU is processing so slowly.
  • Disable SpeedStep in BIOS. This has done nothing in regards to my problem so far
  • The specific motherboard I have (MSI Z170A M5) has a little switch on the bottom that literally caps the CPU at .80 GHz... but it is not switched on, and it has never been a problem in the last 2 years of owning the motherboard, so there would be no reason for it to be a problem all of a sudden.

I'd really appreciate some help as my mental state slowly declines. Thank you!

Solution
You may want to double check and see which version of the BIOS you're on for that MSI board. Also, which version of Windows 10 are you on?