Question cpu case led looks alright but fan didn't spin

JianweiTan

Reputable
Apr 2, 2016
hi there people! i've got a little problem regarding about this system i'm currently using .. the PC suddenly out of power (seems like someone turn off the switch on the power plug, but i'm the only person at home so no way!)

a little history of the way i used before problem occoured : was watching youtube video half way and suddenly power lost , most pc part are about 2 years old, but the GPU i bought it from a reseller and I used for like 7 months.

problem 1 : the moment i press power button on PC the CPU fan spins with led and immediately turn off, but PC case still appeared to have LED on it along with my kb/m LED (with GTX 1070)

problem 2 : take out my current gpu (Zotac GTX 1070), it lights up as for normal but no display or whatsoever

problem 3 : use my old GPU (ASUS GTX 660) it lights up but automatically turns on and off looping every 1 minutes

So i left it untouched with PSU switch off and try again the next day..

problem 4 : PC with GTX 660 able to use as for normal, but when i tried to plug back GTX 1070 it fails to start like in problem 1.

i've done simple diagnose like clear cmos / remove the battery and place it back / switch ram sticks on 4 different DIMM slots but to no avail
note that i also reapplied thermal paste on both GPU and CPU, dust everything clean off too

here are the specs :

Intel i3 6100
Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H
Xigmatek X-POWER 500w
ADATA 8GB ram stick
SEAGATE Barracuda 1TB
basic kb/m with LED
Zotac GTX 1070 mini 8GB (has case LED but failed to powered up like usual)
Asus GTX 660 DCU-II 2GB (able to play as normal)

------------

Does anyone has such occurrence before? any experience on it? thanks!

edit : no I didn't overclock my GPU or ram or CPU and i rarely play max settings intensive games and only game on 1080p monitor

Sounds like your power supply is dying.
The unit is 5 years old and used a mix of good and crap capacitors when made. So for a 2 year warranty it has done very well.
Review here.
It is a split rail design with one rail powering the motherboard and the other powering the peripheral cables.

The 660 pulls about half of its power through the PCI-e slot.
The 1070 pulls most of its power through the PCI-E cables.
I would definitely replace it with a better quality unit as soon as possible.
Before it completely blows and takes other parts with it.

JianweiTan

Reputable
Apr 2, 2016
Sounds like your power supply is dying.
The unit is 5 years old and used a mix of good and crap capacitors when made. So for a 2 year warranty it has done very well.
Review here.
It is a split rail design with one rail powering the motherboard and the other powering the peripheral cables.

The 660 pulls about half of its power through the PCI-e slot.
The 1070 pulls most of its power through the PCI-E cables.
I would definitely replace it with a better quality unit as soon as possible.
Before it completely blows and takes other parts with it.

thanks for the awesome reply! unfortunately Maverick S isn't the PSU i'm having..

https://www.xigmatek.com/product_detail.php?item=183

this was it.. but anyway i went to my local platform and bought a seasonic s12ii 520w, i guess it's PSU problem too.. wouldn't too sure until i ask more experience user

thanks for the awesome reply! unfortunately Maverick S isn't the PSU i'm having..

https://www.xigmatek.com/product_detail.php?item=183

this was it.. but anyway i went to my local platform and bought a seasonic s12ii 520w, i guess it's PSU problem too.. wouldn't too sure until i ask more experience user
It is the same power supply.
Same specs.
It was given different names for different nations, regions.
Vietnam got the X power and X power 2
Philippines got the X Power Calibre
US got the X power Maverick
All made by Andyson which is a maker of mostly cheap bad power supplys, with a few decent models for specific companies.
Most power supplies with power in the name a cheapos.
X power
High power
Top power
L-C power etc....... you get the picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: JianweiTan

JianweiTan

Reputable
Apr 2, 2016
Often unexpected restarts are PSU related.

The S12ii 520w is dated but should be reliable and not give you trouble.

that's good to hear, i almost begin to worry it wouldn't work well

It is the same power supply.
Same specs.
It was given different names for different nations, regions.
Vietnam got the X power and X power 2
Philippines got the X Power Calibre
US got the X power Maverick
All made by Andyson which is a maker of mostly cheap bad power supplys, with a few decent models for specific companies.

oh! sorry for my mistake, i thought it isn't the same thing :D thanks for the info!

JianweiTan

Reputable
Apr 2, 2016
update! with a change of seasonic s12ii 520w psu, first turn on pc and heard a snap sound with burning smell, and the next thing i know GPU can't use anymore, tried switcheroo between GTX 1070 and GTX 660, both doesn't work .. used GPU-Z it's only detected my onboard intel graphics.. luckily GTX 660 has power LED on top of the 6 pin pci-e that indicated it's has power but PCI-E slot doesn't detect

now i have to buy a new motherboard+cpu geez.. have a thought of going ryzen 5 2600 with asrock b450m motherboard and a gtx 1070, would a PSU like seasonic s12ii works?

JianweiTan

Reputable
Apr 2, 2016
another update, hope i'm not too late to bump old threads .. i went to buy a new motherboard instead of changing whole system, now it works with old GTX 660 gpu. and pc will immediately cut off power when i tries to turn on PC with GTX 1070 inside, oh well i guess it's a faulty GTX 1070.. and i'm out of warranty.. guess it's bin time