[SOLVED] CPU causing games to crash

thefrozenwaffle

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018
Okay, so this is like the fifth thread that I've made on this computer lol. It's had a lot of problems, at first my ryzen 3 1200 couldn't keep up with my gtx 1060, so I upgraded to a ryzen 7 1700. Now, my GPU can't keep up with my CPU. Yes I know, I played myself. However, I don't even care about this bottleneck since its better than before, but now I'm having an issue where a lot of my games crash on me. These games include Battlefield 5, pubg, and No man's sky. It seems like the only game that doesn't crash is Fortnite. When my games do run I get about 15 to 30 percent usage on my CPU and over 90 on my GPU. I don't know if the bottleneck is the cause of the problem or not or if it's something else, but I never had this problem with my old CPU. Another thing I should mention is that I only have a 450 watt bronze PSU so that could also be a problem but I doubt it, I'm honestly just really desperate for any solutions.

Specs:
gpu: GTX 1060 3gb
cpu: Ryzen 7 1700
motherboard: MSI b350 gaming pro
psu:EVGA 350 watt bronze
ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB

Solution
EVGA PSUs less than 550 watts are questionable at best. I would definitely suspect it. If at any time your PC requires more power than the PSU can deliver, then something will crash. Since you are experiencing crashes from multiple (high demand)games a hardware issue is probably the cause as opposed to it being a software error.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That CPU/GPU ratio doesn't mean there is a bottleneck. Just remember that your CPU has lots of cores. So if one of them is at 100% (the load will shift from core to core to keep the chip more or less evenly heated) then you could still have a bottleneck. Many games rely on a single main thread, and those that support multithreading still need a main thread to keep the others in line.

Though 90% GPU usage is up there.

I also would suspect your power supply.

Motherboard has pretty limited cooling on the VRMs. What CPU heatsink are you using? Try to get more airflow to the VRMs as a precaution. Or perhaps undervolt and/or disable some cores on your CPU to see how that goes.

thefrozenwaffle

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018

Yah I always was really concerned about the motherboard. It's just really cheap and I've read about how it has some heating issues. As for the power supply, I bought an EVGA 850 watt gold, I just haven't set it up yet. I'm using the stock heatsink but that shouldn't be a problem since I don't overclock. If it isn't the power supply then I bet that it'd be the motherboard. I always looked thought that the ryzen 3 1200 was bottlenecking too much and that it shouldn't be so bad.

EVGA PSUs less than 550 watts are questionable at best. I would definitely suspect it. If at any time your PC requires more power than the PSU can deliver, then something will crash. Since you are experiencing crashes from multiple (high demand)games a hardware issue is probably the cause as opposed to it being a software error.

Solution

thefrozenwaffle

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018

I have an 850 watt gold EVGA psu waiting to be set up. I'll have to try that and see if the problem persists. If it does I might just put aside the 1700 and use the 1200 until I get a new gpu.