Question Cpu change caused endless Blue screen

Jul 24, 2019
Hey, i changed my cpu from i3 4150 to i5 4690 and bios sees it but when i leave bios with default settings i get Blue screen.
Bios is updated ...
Any help ??

Jul 24, 2019
Didnt work, gives windows error recovery with 2 options : Repair and normal start which both ends up to blue screen.
0x0000007E is the error code

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I put the i3 back and it boots to Error Recovery. And when i select "start windows normally" it boots perfectly ...

Ok so everything does work fine when you boot up with the old CPU.

Heres the thing, the CPU is actually pretty simple when it comes to configuration, there is none. its one of those things that should just drop in and go.

Where did you get this new CPU?

Major errors like that tell me that there is something very wrong with it. There aren't any settings you should need to change in the BIOS. And you reset the BIOS anyway and it still didn't work. This is a problem.

IMO that CPU is bad.

Jul 24, 2019
Ok so everything does work fine when you boot up with the old CPU.

Heres the thing, the CPU is actually pretty simple when it comes to configuration, there is none. its one of those things that should just drop in and go.

Where did you get this new CPU?

Major errors like that tell me that there is something very wrong with it. There aren't any settings you should need to change in the BIOS. And you reset the BIOS anyway and it still didn't work. This is a problem.

IMO that CPU is bad.
I got it from Amazon DE and i have reset BIOS many times ...

Reactions: Zanathon

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I got it from Amazon DE and i have reset BIOS many times ...

So it was new in the Retail box? And the BIOS detects it properly?

Before sticking a fork in it, I would reinstall Windows. If you don't have a disc you can download a Win 10 Media Creation Tool that allows you to make a USB you can install Windows 10 from, then try your Windows 7 product key (it should work).

If that crashes then I'm back to my original theory of it being defective.

I presume your motherboard is the sabretooth Z97 mark 2.
Both the i3-4150 and I5-4690 are both supported at the 0801 bios level.

One usual cause for failure is a bad insertion of a cpu which bends the socket pins.
In this case, reinstalling the I3 successfully disproved that possibility.
I think your 4690 is bad, I have heard stories of fake processors on amazon which might be the situation here.
I would return the 4690 as defective.
And... you have an overclocking capable motherboard so I would suggest a i5-4690K as a much better upgrade.

Reactions: Rogue Leader