CPU change causing faults

Sep 17, 2018
My PC fails to connect to my monitor after swapping out to a new CPU. The CPU works perfectly fine on the exact same motherboard as I’ve only just taken it from my cousin and saw it working myself. I’ve cleared the CMOS with both the battery and the ‘CLR_CMOS’. I’ve tested my monitor and have tried to only have the CPU connected to the motherboard and the same issue occurs.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B150M-DS3H
CPU: Intel i5-7500.

Please send help.
Thanks.

Yep, you need a BIOS update from 6th to 7th gen CPU.
There are no other ways around that.
If the PC still available, you could swap CPUs, update BIOS then swap CPUs again.

Does the old CPU works in the system?
Which BIOS version do you have? If you don't have the latest version, place the old CPU, update the BIOS the try the new CPU.
Could post your system components?
Check that the CPU socket for bent pins.

Sep 17, 2018
The old CPU worked about 20 minutes before I changed to the new CPU but because I swapped I don’t have the old one. I checked the CPU socket and nothing looks out of place. Which system components would you need to know of considering I tried starting without them all except the CPU and Mobo and it still occurred.

Something to note: as I try to start it, it will light up, fans run etc for about 10 seconds then it will cut off and restart the fans and such.

Which CPU did you have?
Which GPU? Did you check that's seated properly into the slot?
That CPU could have come from the "exact same motherboard" but the BIOS could have been different.
Do you know which BIOS version your motherboard has?

Try the just the CPU with one RAM module.

Yep, you need a BIOS update from 6th to 7th gen CPU.
There are no other ways around that.
If the PC still available, you could swap CPUs, update BIOS then swap CPUs again.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS