Question CPU change.

Jan 17, 2020
Hey, I had a strange experience this night while doing a cpu exchange. I hope you guys can maybe tell me what happened. So here is the story. I changes from an i5-8500 to an i7-9700k. I have done several builds, but actually never a cpu change. I did som research, and found out that my motherboard is compatible(asus prime b360M-A). Then I updated the bios in windows through the asus client. I thought everything was ready, but I was wrong. I installed the cpu, but had the classical failure where the computer can't boot. I cleared the cmos, and tried different stuff. Then while unable to boot, I updated the bios through bios (asus ez-bios). The version was the same as I had prior to changing the cpu. But after that update, the computer works perfect.

And now I wonder why? when the bios was updated prior to the exchange then it should work?
or did I missunderstand something?
I hope someone can explain to me what happened so I can learn what to do next time :D

Cheers Junik!

Jan 17, 2020
I used the Ez-update tool in windows, which did not work. I then used the update tool in bios under the sub menu: tools. It restarted the computer and then connected to the internet to get the update. Yeah a usb might be a better choice :)