Question Cpu changes speed at startup (solved)

Jul 18, 2019
My CPU runs at regular speed or a slower speed at random times. My bike gives it's speed. Sometimes it will read it is running at full speed but the next reboot it will have it running at 2.5 or even 0.80 I don't get it. Have another I too. When I overclock, no matter the settings, it runs way worse. I would leave it un-overclocked if my professor always ran at its full speed. I'll give you an example.

I'll reboot into bios and it will say the processor is running at 3.50 ghz. I'll reboot again into bios and it will say it is running 0.80 ghz. Next it will be 2.5 GHz. It mixes it up. Even a full boot into windows will change it. Sometimes it boots fast and a check shows it running at 3.5 and sometimes it will boot slow and show it running t 0.80. I can't figure out the problem. This does this un-overclocked, it is way worse overclocked.
[Update] i reset the snow (disconnected the power supply, removed the batter) and started it up. Didn't change anything, just let it sit for a minute and shut it down and cleared it again. On start up it said some settings were reset to default values, but I didn't change anything. Could it be making changes on its own?

SOLVED: using intel it's I have been keeping an eye on things. Thermal throttling shoves it down every time my temp goes above 200 F other than that it stays. I was able to squuze a little more out and have it running at 4.2 ghz

Oh and I bought the board and pricessir used.
Msi z87-gd65
Water-cooled
Intel i7-4770 k @ 3.50
850W ocz power supply

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Depending on the power state, your clocks will vary. That's pretty much what it's supposed to do - does it ramp up as required? As in, when you put the CPU under load, do clock speeds increase?

You can also enable the "high performance" power plan inside Windows, which should peg you to boost clock speeds 24/7, unless they throttle of course.

Jul 18, 2019
Depending on the power state, your clocks will vary. That's pretty much what it's supposed to do - does it ramp up as required? As in, when you put the CPU under load, do clock speeds increase?

You can also enable the "high performance" power plan inside Windows, which should peg you to boost clock speeds 24/7, unless they throttle of course.
It does except on the next reboot right now it is ramping up as it is supposed too,but if I reboot it will only go as high as 2.5 and will get lower as utilization rises.

Example. At 1% utilization it will be at 2.3 but at 10% it will be 1.50 numbers aren't exact but you get my meaning.

At this second it is basically running 2.41 at 10%

Jul 18, 2019

It seems the longer it runs after clearing the snow the slower it gets