[SOLVED] CPU choice for PC (intel vs Ryzen)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Slayer16

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
I’m making a entry level to mid tier pc and would like some suggestions on what cpu to use. I’ve narrowed it down to the i3 9100f, i5 9400f and then Ryzen 5 2600.

I am unsure what to get. I plan on using a 1050ti for the time being then upgrading later to a graphics card in the $250-$300 range during the summer. I was wondering what would be the best performance wise and best future proof cpu (least bottlenecking cpu).

Don’t do any cpu intensive tasks. Pc is for gaming. Won’t be doing any overclocking either.

Sorry if I say something dumb. Thanks again.

Also in Canada

Solution
1. A 2600 should hold up well for 1080p gaming through a couple rounds of mid-range GPU upgrades. Honestly, if you were to go much beyond 'mid-range' in future (xx60 or xx70 cards from Nvidia for example), you should be looking to step up in resolution anyway. As you step up in resolution (1440p, 4K), your CPU matters less.

2. Have your friend take a look at the PSU itself... is this the sticker on the side?
91lryhwsFDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If so, that's a basic AcBel made unit, with only a max 385W on the 12V rail (which matters for the GPU).
It's not a "460W" PSU at all, in reality, it's a 385W unit at best and, unless it's brand new, has probably degraded a little bit below that...
Sorry to ask a similar question as earlier but why wouldn’t you go with the i5 9400f
There are a handful of games where a 6 thread cpu is already running at very high usage and can actually suffer worse lows than say a 3600 even if average is higher. I’d also say look at what happened to quad core/threads CPU’s in recent years. They went from being mainstream for gaming to barely good enough for entry level in 3-4 years, they aged terribly. I feel we are at the tipping point now for 6 core/threads to go the same way.

There are a handful of games where a 6 thread cpu is already running at very high usage and can actually suffer worse lows than say a 3600 even if average is higher. I’d also say look at what happened to quad core/threads CPU’s in recent years. They went from being mainstream for gaming to barely good enough for entry level in 3-4 years, they aged terribly. I feel we are at the tipping point now for 6 core/threads to go the same way.
I must agree. Looking at current trends, most major game engines are going massively multithreaded, with many now handling up to 12 concurrent hreads with relative ease - as such, anything with a lower thread count than a R5 1600 gets potentially gimped. I personally won't downgrade back to anything with less than 8 cores and 16 threads - my 2700X is still handling everything I throw at it, however I may get a "R9 4900X" when it comes out - provided my motherboard gets a BIOS update that can handle it.

Slayer16

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
UPDATE: So I built my new pc. Used old case and hard drive. I didn’t reformat the hard drive and it’s windows 7. The computer posts but can’t get into windows. It says windows has an error and it’ll ask to try to boot into safe mode or start windows normally or try to repair windows but none of it works. Does this have something to do with me using the old hard drive and how could I fix this?

UPDATE: So I built my new pc. Used old case and hard drive. I didn’t reformat the hard drive and it’s windows 7. The computer posts but can’t get into windows. It says windows has an error and it’ll ask to try to boot into safe mode or start windows normally or try to repair windows but none of it works. Does this have something to do with me using the old hard drive and how could I fix this?
Win 7 doesn't support the Intel 8 & 9 series nor any Ryzen. On top of that if you went from an Intel chipset to AMD the drivers will be all wrong and a complete reinstall is best choice.