[SOLVED] CPU choice in view of current core utilization

Jul 12, 2020
I'm running a financial program (Tradestation).
Looking at the detailed CPU panel on the Task Manager, I conclude that it utilizes ~ 4 Cores max (out of the 8 available on the i9-9880H).

When I choke up the system with lots of calculations, the system gets very laggy but I still see no action on at least half of the cores I have available on my PC.

My question is - is this enough of an evidence showing that the program is core-bound, which means I should get the fastest single core frequency CPU available? (i9 10900or maybe an i5 10600, as opposed to the Ryzen line which has a clear superior all-core performance).

And last question - In general, in order to match the best CPU, what benchmark test best represents such a use case? (single/multi thread tests, cinebench, game benchmarks etc,)

Last edited:
Solution
Looking at the detailed CPU panel on the Task Manager, I conclude that it utilizes ~ 4 Cores max (out of the 8 available on the i9-9880H).

When I choke up the system with lots of calculations, the system gets very laggy but I still see no action on at least half of the cores I have available on my PC.

My question is - is this enough of an evidence showing that the program is core-bound, which means I should get the fastest single core frequency CPU available? (i9 10900or maybe an i5 10600, as opposed to the Ryzen line which has a clear superior all-core performance).

And last question - In general, in order to match the best CPU, what benchmark test best...

kanewolf

Titan

And last question - In general, in order to match the best CPU, what benchmark test best represents such a use case? (single/multi thread tests, cinebench, game benchmarks etc,)
Your CPU is an 8 core 16 thread CPU. If you are only seeing 8 cores in the task manager you have hyperthreading disabled. That is a mobile CPU so it will have lower clock speeds than desktop CPUs.
If you have available CPUs, and it is unresponsive, then you have some problem OTHER than CPU. I would look at RAM utilization.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS