[SOLVED] CPU choice

Solution
Even though i5 2400 is better in performance but it will oem and i have to pair it with zebronics motherboard which are not reliable at all. In case of amd 200ge i would buy a asus or msi motherboard which are trustworthy
I agree i5 2400 has better scores compared to 200GE. But why risk your money while you are pairing that processor with such a motherboard. So 200GE would be a viable option. If you really can extend your budget a little bit then go for 2200G/3200G powered by Vega 8 graphics(you'll be having a lot of performance gain compared to the latter mentioned in the OP).

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
Better at what? Office work, Gaming, Streaming, etc?

If you are intending to run legacy softwares on older versions of Windows and you already have a proper motherboard, Core i5 2400 is OK. Otherwise, get a new 8th or 9th generation of Core i3s since they have 4 cores with a decent price.

Athlon 200GE is not bad since it requires an AM4 motherboard which you can upgrade the CPU to Ryzen models later on.

AMD A6? Not at all! Don't even think about it. Too weak.

Pankaj12325

Commendable
Jan 28, 2020
You might want to look through this CPU hierarchy chart, first. Then state what you intend to tax the system with, regardless of what processor has been stated in the thread's body.
I cannot find i5-2400 in chart. Thanks
Thanks, it says i5 2400 is better but i will buy it with zebronics motherboard so mabe not a good deal
Why buy a used processor when you get new ones for almost the same price? So go with 200GE over those old architectures.
Even though it is old, but does not performance matters at all?
Better at what? Office work, Gaming, Streaming, etc?

If you are intending to run legacy softwares on older versions of Windows and you already have a proper motherboard, Core i5 2400 is OK. Otherwise, get a new 8th or 9th generation of Core i3s since they have 4 cores with a decent price.

Athlon 200GE is not bad since it requires an AM4 motherboard which you can upgrade the CPU to Ryzen models later on.

AMD A6? Not at all! Don't even think about it. Too weak.
Moderate Gaming and Multi-tasking
i will go with 200 ge and a320 motherboard but if you already have a h61 motherboard get the i5 2400
i have h61 motherboard but it max tdp is 35w and support upto i3 2120T.

Thanks to all!

Ravz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
Thanks, it says i5 2400 is better but i will buy it with zebronics motherboard so mabe not a good deal
Good luck with that!!!!

Even though it is old, but does not performance matters at all?
Performance does matter as always!!!! In that case you need to extend your budget a little bit and get yourself a brand new PC rather than relying on a used processor and pairing it with some shitty motherboard.

Reactions: mkaafy

Pankaj12325

Commendable
Jan 28, 2020
What games do you play? Also do you have any plans of buying a GPU?
Even though i5 2400 is better in performance but it will oem and i have to pair it with zebronics motherboard which are not reliable at all. In case of amd 200ge i would buy a asus or msi motherboard which are trustworthy

Ravz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
I agree i5 2400 has better scores compared to 200GE. But why risk your money while you are pairing that processor with such a motherboard. So 200GE would be a viable option. If you really can extend your budget a little bit then go for 2200G/3200G powered by Vega 8 graphics(you'll be having a lot of performance gain compared to the latter mentioned in the OP).

Reactions: mkaafy
Solution

Pankaj12325

Commendable
Jan 28, 2020
In my country India, it is double the price than 200ge. Generally i use my PC for schoolwork and moderate gaming and do extensive gaming on my laptop [i hate playing on laptop
:( ] i think i should go for 200ge, as that sh*t zebronics motherboard does not even support gpu incase i hope to buy it in future

Reactions: Ravz

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
It support socket fm2+ as per description on product page.
Are both same?

No. Totally different. As you probably know, each socket supports specific models of CPUs.

FM2+ motherboards limit your choice to only some specific AMD's A6, A8, A10 APUs, or Athlon X4 series lacking iGPU, with older DDR3 memory for RAM.

If you buy an AM4 socket motherboard for that Athlon 200GE, you can install DDR4 RAMs and upgrade to a more powerful Ryzen CPU some other time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ravz

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
If you already have some high quality DDR3 memories you can reuse them by installing them on a FM2+ socket motherboard or Intel compatible motherboards (better). But you can't upgrade to Ryzen CPUs with FM2+ socket motherboard later.

Zen architecture (Athlon 200GE) significantly offers higher performance than AMD's older Carrizo architecture (A6-7480).

Last edited: