Question CPU cleaning

May 22, 2019
So basically, I'm upgrading my pc. I'm starting by buying a new case and Mobo. So, when I take off my CPU, do I have to clean off the old thermal paste and put some new one on it? If yes, how?

Lutfij

Titan
Yes. You use isopropyl alcohol and some kitchen towel or coffee filter to rub the thermal paste off the IHS. Be sure to not get that on the CPU socket or the side of the processor. What CPU are you dealing with here? If AMD, please be gentle since some have literally ripped the processors off their sockets while pulling the heatsink off in spite of the latch being down(locked).

Reactions: BossyBigBoss

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Give the cooler a gentle twist before lifting up and out. Doing it while warm is also a good suggestion. Yanking the CPU out of an AMD socket even when locked is easier than you might think. I did it once being careless when yanking a cooler after a post test. Luckily for me the CPU stayed stuck to the cooler and it didn't damage it.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019
Give the cooler a gentle twist before lifting up and out. Doing it while warm is also a good suggestion. Yanking the CPU out of an AMD socket even when locked is easier than you might think. I did it once being careless when yanking a cooler after a post test. Luckily for me the CPU stayed stuck to the cooler and it didn't damage it.
Can I just slide it off the side if that happens?

May 22, 2019
Upgrading a motherboard when keeping the same CPU is not much of an upgrade. What exactly do you have now, what is your budget for the upgrades?
I was going to buy a new CPU, but while I was at it, I wanted a new motherboard aswell, so I'm going to buy the motherboard first and wait a little to buy the new CPU and GPU and stuff.