[SOLVED] CPU clock fluctuating on Legion 5 Pro

marcusdr

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
Hi

I recently got a Legion 5 Pro with a Ryzen 5800H and have noticed that the CPU clock speed is constantly fluctuating even when idle on the desktop.

It constantly jumps from 2400Mhz to 3675Mhz every 2-3 seconds and also up to 4450Mhz about every 10 seconds.

It has been suggested that this is normal for Ryzen processors.

First time I have ever had a gaming laptop and just want to be sure this is normal and not a fault before my exchange period runs out.

Thanks

Solution
Hey there,

Yes, this is pretty normal behaviour. Most modern CPU's (but specially in laptops) have power saving features which enable to clock up and down depending on the needs of the task. Otherwise your temps on the CPU if it was constantly pegged at it's highest all core speed, would have the laptop fans running at full speed to keep the CPU cool. That can be annoying.

You've nothing to worry about.
Hey there,

Yes, this is pretty normal behaviour. Most modern CPU's (but specially in laptops) have power saving features which enable to clock up and down depending on the needs of the task. Otherwise your temps on the CPU if it was constantly pegged at it's highest all core speed, would have the laptop fans running at full speed to keep the CPU cool. That can be annoying.

You've nothing to worry about.

Reactions: marcusdr
Solution
If your laptop has the Power Saver power plan, you can use that to stop the constant jumping around if you want the laptop to not run as hot when you're not doing much. Although I think setting it for Best Battery Life in the battery notification icon pop-up also does the same thing.

marcusdr

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
Thanks for the responses.

Just wanted to be sure that this random fluctuation while idle was normal behavior.

Temperature while idle is around 45° and between 65° and 85° while gaming so far which seems ok.

I had read that the CPU can go up to 105°. The first day I had it I discovered that it got stuck at max boost after waking from sleep and got to 100° before I noticed. Disabled sleep now to avoid that issue and never seen temperatures that high since. Also got a cooling pad now.

Thanks again

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead