Question CPU Clock speed at Max all the time

Jan 6, 2020
unknown.png

unknown.png

So my laptop computer (specs above) has been having some weird this happening to it. My main concern is that the CPU is running at full clock with only chrome and spotify open in the background. The temperature is also very high (averages 55-65, so this was a little high) at some times. I'm not sure if this is a virus I may have gotten or some setting that is optomized for gaming (and draining my battery like crazy). I want to turn alot of my specs on my CPU so I can save hella battery but also turn them on quickly for when i'm gaming. Any suggestions?

Jan 6, 2020
test in safe mode?
test without anything open int he background?
malware scan your system?
I have scanned with McAfee and SpyHunter, and got nothing (although I feel like I may have one)
With nothing in the background, the Load dropped to 8%, and temperature to 50 degrees but the Clock remained close to max. Safe mode didn't do much either.

Jan 7, 2020
I’m having the same exact issue, I’m also using the NZXT cam app. Perhaps it could be the application providing false results? Did you see the same results using another app? (Edit - I downloaded Ryzen Master and it’s showing completely different clock speeds compared to NZXT cam, I think the app is broken.)

Last edited:
Reactions: drdank
unknown.png

unknown.png

So my laptop computer (specs above) has been having some weird this happening to it. My main concern is that the CPU is running at full clock with only chrome and spotify open in the background. The temperature is also very high (averages 55-65, so this was a little high) at some times. I'm not sure if this is a virus I may have gotten or some setting that is optomized for gaming (and draining my battery like crazy). I want to turn alot of my specs on my CPU so I can save hella battery but also turn them on quickly for when i'm gaming. Any suggestions?
55-65 is very normal for a laptop, my 4820HQ MSI Gaming laptop idle at 60C with fan at max speed. That's because its a 45W chip, the highest for a laptop.

Was it like that before?
Check task manager if any process is using CPU or GPU %.

You can replace CPU and GPU thermal paste with Grizzly Kryonaut, use a cooler pad and raise your fan speed to maximum. Lastly, you can undervolt the CPU and GPU which has the most significant effect on temps.

Jan 6, 2020
55-65 is very normal for a laptop, my 4820HQ MSI Gaming laptop idle at 60C with fan at max speed. That's because its a 45W chip, the highest for a laptop.

Was it like that before?
Check task manager if any process is using CPU or GPU %.

You can replace CPU and GPU thermal paste with Grizzly Kryonaut, use a cooler pad and raise your fan speed to maximum. Lastly, you can undervolt the CPU and GPU which has the most significant effect on temps.
I just found out because I was getting annoyed at how loud my fans were and how little battery life I am getting compared to before. I think