[SOLVED] CPU clock speed increases every 2~3 seconds

May 24, 2020
My old motherboard just died(990FXA-GD65) so bought a new Gigabyte 78LMT - USB3 R2.
I am using FX-8350 processor.Every few seconds(3~5 secs) even when no programs are running and windows has just booted up I could see the CPU clocking speed increasing from 1409.20 MHZ to 4227.59 MHZ. I did not find this issue when I was using my old motherboard.

• I am not overclocking and is it safe for the cpu speed increasing beyond 4000MHZ?
  • Even the processor fan noise keeps going up and down which is very annoying.
  • Is there any way to keep it under 4ghz?
YoBumn.jpg

kCQAVd.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
your old motherboard probably had a different fan curve where the fan doesn't spin 100% at lower temps - so check your bios. also you can go into task manager and see what's running in the background.

My pc is running for almost 8 hours now and I don't think there is any windows or antivirus updates running. The only question is that the processor fan noise keeps increasing and decreasing along with the clock speed. And why this didn't occur in my older motherboard at least the noise was not that loud.
even if the system APPEARS idle, there could be things going on like restore points, antivirus/malware updates and windows updates going on right after startup - nothing to be alarmed about. Also the processor can boost a single core to 4.2 Mhz so things complete faster. You may need to adjust your mobo's CPU fan curve from the default in bios to reduce noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: mctrader07
May 24, 2020
even if the system APPEARS idle, there could be things going on like restore points, antivirus/malware updates and windows updates going on right after startup - nothing to be alarmed about

My pc is running for almost 8 hours now and I don't think there is any windows or antivirus updates running. The only question is that the processor fan noise keeps increasing and decreasing along with the clock speed. And why this didn't occur in my older motherboard at least the noise was not that loud.

your old motherboard probably had a different fan curve where the fan doesn't spin 100% at lower temps - so check your bios. also you can go into task manager and see what's running in the background.

Solution