CPU clock speed jumps rapidly, CPU overheats when playing games

Jan 4, 2019
Just completed my new PC build - here are the specs - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yb9YzY

When idle. the CPU sits at around 30*C. However, the moment I open CS:GO, the CPU temparature instantly shoots up to over 80*C - the load is only 25-30%.

Even stranger, is that the CPU clock speed rapidly jumps between 797MHz and 4690MHz. Is this normal? I am using two softwares (CAM and HWMonitor) to monitor the CPU temp, load and Clock Speed, and they both say the same.

I have set the CPU fan speed to run at max (1270 ish RPM) regardless of CPU temp, to see if that will help keep it cool, but it doesn't help.

As soon as I close CS:GO, the temparature instantly drops back below 40*C.

What could be the problem and solution? I am certain I installed the CPU fan correctly, and used a good amount of thermal paste (not too much though) when applying it.

Solution
For speeds, yes - that's just the CPU ramping up from near idle ~800Mhz to boost speeds.

The problem there, is the the Freezer33 is a budget air cooler, and the 9700K needs more cooling than that.
Jan 4, 2019

Thanks, I am new to this, so unsure what kind of cooler I should look at getting? Is there a dry cooling solution that would work, or will I need to invest in liquid cooling?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
No, there are good Air offerings too.

Unfortunately though, a lot of the mid-range ($50-$60) offerings aren't really 'worth it' for the output of a 9700K.. Personally, I'd look to an absolute minimum of an NH-D14 from Noctua or Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro4.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/46tCmG,4vzv6h,F3gzK8/

The NH-D15 is better than either, but is right at the max height supported by the H500i (165mm).

Jan 4, 2019

Thanks again, very helpful.

I was considering getting the NZXT Kraken x62 (although it is a lot more expensive) and going with liquid cooling. Are there any downsides to liquid cooling other than the cost? Would I need to change the liquid frequently for example, or anything like that? (Like I mentioned, I'm at noob at this).

One last question too, when applying a new cooler (air or liquid), would I need to clean and reapply new thermal paste?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Cost and additional points of failure (pump & leaks) would be downsides of AIOs. They're usually good for their warranty period (~3 years or so, depending on the model), sometimes longer - but there's no guarantee.

No, with an all-in-one (AIO) you don't touch the fluid. They're self-contained units that are not designed to be user serviceable.

Yes, anytime you replace the cooler (or even reseat it, for whatever reason) you should clean off the old paste & apply new.

TRENDING THREADS