Question CPU Clock Speeds Maxing out 20 thousands

Fluffly Fluff

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
I have an i-9 Intel CPU and an AIO CPU cooler, and HWMonitor often shows it hitting clock speeds into the twenty thousands when gaming. Is this odd? The Bios is at default settings except for the memory (matching the memory speed and timings) and the fans (adjusted a little). The temperatures of the cores never reach above about sixty degrees Celcius.

Furzumz

Reputable
20,000 mhz? That one hell of a overclock you got there.

In all seriousness sounds like HWmonitor is giving you a wrong reading. If you were somehow actually running at 20 GHz your power supply would probably be on fire

You sure you're not misreading it as two thousand mhz?

Fluffly Fluff

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
Well, I play World of Warcraft and don't watch the core speeds constantly--but when I do they are in the 3000s generally. But after playing for a couple hours I can see the max core speeds are showing in the 20,000s Mhz. So HWMonitor is showing the max at very high speeds. But this has only started in recent months, and (on an aside) the computer has also been crashing at least once a week, once even four times in one hour. I have reinstalled Windows three times thinking that would stop the crashing--which has worked to stop the crashing temporarily. The Bios is also an older one as the latest one does not play well with my system--and I have not changed the core speeds (as in overclock settings in the Bios) in any way.

Furzumz

Reputable
Well, I play World of Warcraft and don't watch the core speeds constantly--but when I do they are in the 3000s genereally. But after playing for a couple hours I can see the max core speeds are showing in the 20,000s Mhz. So HWMonitor is showing the max at very high speeds. But this has only started in recent months, and the computer has been crashing. I have reinstalled Windows three times. The Bios is also an older one as the latest one does not play well with my system--and I have not changed the core speeds in any way.

I'm not sure whats going on with the crashes unfortunately, someone else here might know. But I can say for sure your CPU isn't actually hitting 20,000 MHz

By comparison the world record (if I'm not mistaken anyway) is about 8.7GHz (~8,700 MHz) and they had to use liquid nitrogen as a coolant.

It's gotta be a faulty reading for sure. Monitoring programs can occasionally bug out or censors can possibly report incorrect information. HWmonitor occasionally likes to say a temperature on my motherboard is hitting 5369C for example

I have an i-9 Intel CPU and an AIO CPU cooler, and HWMonitor often shows it hitting clock speeds into the twenty thousands when gaming. Is this odd? The Bios is at default settings except for the memory (matching the memory speed and timings) and the fans (adjusted a little). The temperatures of the cores never reach above about sixty degrees Celcius.

In order to help you should post your full system specs, brand and model of every component (Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Cooler, GPU, PSU, Storage devices, if you know the Case brand and model too)

Fluffly Fluff

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
The motherboard is an Asus Rampage VI Extreme Omega and the CPU is a 9980xe. The cooler is a Ryujin 360. The memory is Corsair CMK32GX4M2A2666C16 Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz and was on the QL list as was the PSU, a Corsair AX1600i Digital ATX Power Supply. The drives are Samsung 970 Pro, and Crucial MX500. The case is a Thermaltake View 71 with the front glass panel removed (only mesh over the fans). The fans are mostly Noctua NFA-14s (I have the same in another rig and they are fine). The GPUs are two Asus 2080 Turbo cards in SLI.

Also, I've been watching HWMonitor closely, and the typical clock speeds are 1200 MHz (not 3000 as mentioned above--I also have an AMD machine and hence quoted those speeds) and boost up to 4400 or so typically. I am watching closely so I can post a picture once they clocks hit the crazy high clocks.

Last edited:

Fluffly Fluff

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
Last edited: