Jul 19, 2018
Hi,

I’ve been playing around with Overclocking settings, and I’ve gotten a stable OC with my 3900x @4.2GHz all cores at 1.31V. However, the CPU slows down to 4.07GHz idle according to Task Manager and 4.099 in HWMonitor. I remember being able to get it to 4.2 yesterday. Is this a windows issue or is it normal that windows is downclocking?

Last edited:
Hi,

I’ve been playing around with Overclocking settings, and I’ve gotten a stable OC with my 3900x @4.2GHz all cores at 1.31V. However, the CPU slows down to 4.07GHz idle according to Task Manager and 4.099 in HWMonitor. I remember being able to get it to 4.2 yesterday. Is this a windows issue or is it normal that windows is downclocking?
It's supposed to do that when idle and should go even lower. Check your Power saving plan in windows, it's. probably set to 80 -90% in Minimum CPU state. You could set it to about 5% for even more power (and heat) savings. That doesn't detract of performance at higher loads, it will speed up as necessary on one or more cores.
BTW. "Overclock" to 4.2GHz is actually an underclock as it's supposed to boost up to 4.6GHz on single and 4.35GHz on other cores if you just set PBO to it's maximum.
You bought a good processor and you are throttling it. :D

Jul 19, 2018
Hi,

I’ve managed to overclock my 3900x to 4.4GHz via the BIOS, but when I boot up windows, OCCT says it’s at x41 clock ratio. It’s the same with a lower clock. I remember I was able to successfully OC it to 4.2GHz the other week. So in theory, I should be able to get it to 4.4GHz. Why is the core clock overclock not sticking?