[SOLVED] CPU clocking down when playing games and stress testing.

Jun 13, 2019
Ok, so I've got a pretty old motherboard (gigabyte ga h55m s2) that about a month ago I upgraded the cpu from a i3 540 to a Xeon x3470 and got a new cooler for it. It works great but recently I began noticing that the fps was dropping in games and going back up. At first I thought that it was a problem with the gpu so I went into msi afterburner to check but everything seems to be working fine with the gpu then I noticed that the drop in cpu clock coincides exactly with when the fps started to drop. So I downloaded AIDA64 to stress test it and observed that it was not thermal throttling but saw that the temperature was going from about 70c under a full load and dropping to 45c over and over, which again happens to coincides exactly with when the cpu clocks down. I'm not that good with computers so I don't really know whats happening here.

svgN5dH.png

6ua0e9t.png

System specs:
  • CPU: Intel Xeon X3470
  • Mobo: Gigabyte ga h55m s2
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper H411R
  • GPU: AMD Raedon RX560 4GB(Overclocked)
  • RAM: 10GB (1x2GB, 1X8GB)
  • PSU: Voltron Bronze 235fx
Also something to add: I recently got a new case that came with a new psu so I used that instead of a generic psu that was in the old case not sure if its the problem but it started happening as soon as I replaced the case from the old one to this.

Solution
Well, when I was watching a video about pc cases they said that when they removed their front panel the temperatures dropped by like 20c so I tried it and it looks like that solved the problem. It's not going nowhere near 70c when stress testing now always below 60c. Airflow was being restricted by the front panel and front intake fans being too close to each other.

Thanks for you guy's help tho, very much appreciated.
Well that Voltron Power Supply is not good at all with just 242w and even then it may not be able to provide even that...But it should still be able to run the setup but only just...

It does not look like you are throttling, double check your task manager to see if anything is using CPU cycles that should not...

Jun 13, 2019
Doesn't look like anything is using the cpu much when the clock drops.

Xs9mSGY.png

Hmm, you're right. The old psu was rated at 350w continuous output with 450w max. Should I change the psu back? Can the psu effect the performace of the cpu?

Jun 13, 2019
Either its the low wattage psu or you got a problem with the vrm on that board either overheating or simply failing to deliver the power needed.

Pretty sure its not the vrm been using this board for a month with the new cpu and 1+ years with the old cpu and had no problems with them.

Yeah it could be the psu gonna try to use the old one and see if its still occuring.

Jun 13, 2019
Update: I changed the psu back to the original one that I used and looks like it is still happening. But it took longer for it to clock down this time.

tjOuLxa.png

N4lhn7y.png

Damn I thought this was gonna be a an easy fix by just changing the psu.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You changed from a 73w 2c/4t cpu to a 95w 4c/8t cpu. That can have possible repercussions on the VRM's. Especially on an old board.

Max operating temp for that cpu is only 72.7°C, max wattage is 184w, so yes, you are thermal throttling if pushing cores that hot. You should be looking at coolers closer to the 180-200w range if you want to keep it cool under stress.

The CM H411R would have been great for the i3, but it's a 120w 92mm cooler and really has no business on an i7 equivalent cpu.

Your psu choices are not great, but it's the cooler that's killing you atm. It's just not efficient enough. I'd suggest something like the Scythe Fuma 2 if size is a concern.

Reactions: vMax
Jun 13, 2019
Damn, I've never had this problem in the old case before. But yeah I would definitely buy the Scythe Fuma 2 for the cpu but I bought the cpu on aliexpress for like $15, so putting a $60 cooler on it seems kinda... well inappropriate. Maybe things will improve once I add an exhaust to the case as it currently doesn't have an exhaust since I'm waiting for the fan to be shipped.

Jun 13, 2019
Well <Mod Edit> I tried to replace the psu to the old one and it seems like the cables aren't long enough to reach the board. So yeah.. Guess I'll have to stick with the old one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You stick a strong 8cyl in your car because the old 4cyl wouldn't get out of its own way and you got tired of being passed by grandma's. You dropped $600 on that motor. Are you now going to quibble that those old, bald, skinny tires need replacing with something wider that'll grip the road and not spin every time you step on the gas? Does it matter the new tires will run you $1000.

Just the cost of doing business. Sucks, but what can you do? Wait for Black Friday? Ebay? See what else will work better, cheaper?

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Looks like your CPU cooler only has a max TDP around 100W, so that could be a limiting factor. In general, it looks like your setup is a mess. You don't have dual-channel memory, two poor PSU options. If you manually overclocked the GPU, you may want to move it back down just to lower the heat generation of the case. You may also want to examine your case fan setup to see if you can improve that reasonably.

You're probably going to have a spend a little money to have a better system, but it shouldn't cost too much honestly. Like you could get a real PSU for around $35 most likely, actual dual-channel 16GB ram for the same, and a quality CPU fan (Hyper 212 etc) for the same as well.

Like I don't want to be mean and I understand you're trying to be price conscious but you would get a lot of extra performance and a legit system with parts you can carry over for very little money. You could sell some of the nonsense you have right now to make some of that back.

Jun 13, 2019
You stick a strong 8cyl in your car because the old 4cyl wouldn't get out of its own way and you got tired of being passed by grandma's. You dropped $600 on that motor. Are you now going to quibble that those old, bald, skinny tires need replacing with something wider that'll grip the road and not spin every time you step on the gas? Does it matter the new tires will run you $1000.

Just the cost of doing business. Sucks, but what can you do? Wait for Black Friday? Ebay? See what else will work better, cheaper?
I'm not that into cars, but yeah I get what you mean. Maybe something like a hyper 212 (like the one dstln suggested) will work?

Jun 13, 2019
Looks like your CPU cooler only has a max TDP around 100W, so that could be a limiting factor. In general, it looks like your setup is a mess. You don't have dual-channel memory, two poor PSU options. If you manually overclocked the GPU, you may want to move it back down just to lower the heat generation of the case. You may also want to examine your case fan setup to see if you can improve that reasonably.

You're probably going to have a spend a little money to have a better system, but it shouldn't cost too much honestly. Like you could get a real PSU for around $35 most likely, actual dual-channel 16GB ram for the same, and a quality CPU fan (Hyper 212 etc) for the same as well.

Like I don't want to be mean and I understand you're trying to be price conscious but you would get a lot of extra performance and a legit system with parts you can carry over for very little money. You could sell some of the nonsense you have right now to make some of that back.

Yeah I'm looking at maybe a hyper 212 (like the one you suggested).

It is a mess, its a Frankenstein of things that I bought used, the only thing that is new in the whole system is the cpu cooler, the 8 gb stick and the case that I bought new. But coming from a laptop that can barely run any kind of games at an acceptable framerate is more than satisfactory for me. I don't expect to play any triple A games any time soon and to be honest I basically don't have any interest in those games whatsoever, only games I play right now are csgo, Minecraft, Apex Legends and nothing else much.

According to CPU-Z the ram is running in dual-channel? I'm not sure.

Jun 13, 2019
Ok so update on this thing, I undervolted the cpu and it seems to be doing pretty fine now. Not getting any kind of dips in clock speed when gaming for 1 hour+ cpu stays at about 55c - 65c while doing so. Although stress testing it seems to still make it thermal throttle but it took much longer now at about 5 minutes for it to thermal throttle.

Jun 13, 2019
Well, when I was watching a video about pc cases they said that when they removed their front panel the temperatures dropped by like 20c so I tried it and it looks like that solved the problem. It's not going nowhere near 70c when stress testing now always below 60c. Airflow was being restricted by the front panel and front intake fans being too close to each other.

Thanks for you guy's help tho, very much appreciated.

Solution