Question CPU clocking up and down during heavy performance

Oct 30, 2019
Hi, have been having issues with my CPU frequency and it's temperature whenever gaming it's an core i7 5500u it runs at 2.7 to 2.9 GHz whenever I open a game then the performance drops to 2.28GHz,8 to 10mins of gaming it'll clock down to 0.48 or 0.98 GHz for 5 mins before going back to 2.28 GHz ,so the process continues like that, I I tried checking the CPU and GPU temperature at min it was reading 58C max it entered 102C at some point(when I forced it to remain at 2.9 GHz instead of 2.28 GHz) I don't know what's going on the laptop is lenovo y40-80fa pls how can I bypass this temperature issue and irregular CPU frequencies

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Your laptop cpu is throttling because it's overheating and it downclocks to save itself. Bypassing this protective feature is a sure way of saying good bye to the laptop.

Give it a blow out with compressed air and check the cooling fans are spinning properly. Don't cover vents and look into a cooling pad for it.

Reactions: Nifemi10
If 2.9 GHz leads to 100C temps, clearly that is not sustainable....

You can try installing Intel's XTU, and manually entering slightly lower all-core turbo clock speeds (2.8 GHz, 2.7 Ghz, etc) to see if that would prevent overheating....

it might not quite be up to handling thermal loads of sustained gaming. (a sad state that afflicts many laptops sold with decent GPUs suitable for gaming, unfortunately)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I assume old paste is still there and you just put the heatsink back, hopefully back properly.

Adjusting maximum processor state in your power plan profile under advanced settings may help reduce clock speeds and temps. Can set maximum to which ever you want from 100%. Try around 70% and see how you go with temps.

A cooling pad is probably recommended.