[SOLVED] Cpu Clocks and temperatures fluctuating

Kubsy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2020
Hello, I need your help!!!

So for a couple of days I noticed that my clocks are at max frequency and therefore my temperatures are fluctuating from 35 to 50/40 to 50 and I've never had it before!

I did try the power saving settings but didn't work.

Also bear in my that I am a pc noob

Cpu: Ryzen 5 2600

Solution
But that's at idle though with clocks and temperatures fluctuating. Is that normal?
Yes, that's what I'm referring to.

Also "idle" is very rarely what your CPU is doing. Ryzen also operates a boost from idle feature, whereby it constantly boosts a core out of sleep, where it then hits top frequencies and appears to have a large voltage and temp spike, then settles back, but this process repeats itself.

What you see is erratic sudden temp, frequency and voltage spikes when you're seemingly doing nothing or just opening up a new window.

The other thing with temperatures, is that they don't overly matter unless you exceed a temperature whereby it becomes unhealthy for the CPU. For this Ryzen, the max temp is 95 degrees, but...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I noticed that my clocks are at max frequency and therefore my temperatures are fluctuating from 35 to 50/40 to 50 and I've never had it before!
I'll be honest, there is nothing really wrong with this. fluctuating between 30/50 degrees on a Ryzen is fairly normal due to how it operates. Just as long as it's kept below 80 degrees overall. Ryzen does have what might appear to be somewhat erratic behaviour at low loads.

Kubsy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2020
I'll be honest, there is nothing really wrong with this. fluctuating between 30/50 degrees on a Ryzen is fairly normal due to how it operates. Just as long as it's kept below 80 degrees overall. Ryzen does have what might appear to be somewhat erratic behaviour at low loads.

But that's at idle though with clocks and temperatures fluctuating. Is that normal?

dimtodim

Reputable
Hello, I need your help!!!

So for a couple of days I noticed that my clocks are at max frequency and therefore my temperatures are fluctuating from 35 to 50/40 to 50 and I've never had it before!

I did try the power saving settings but didn't work.

Also bear in my that I am a pc noob

Cpu: Ryzen 5 2600
what cooler u have?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Also "idle" is very rarely what your CPU is doing. Ryzen also operates a boost from idle feature, whereby it constantly boosts a core out of sleep, where it then hits top frequencies and appears to have a large voltage and temp spike, then settles back, but this process repeats itself.

What you see is erratic sudden temp, frequency and voltage spikes when you're seemingly doing nothing or just opening up a new window.

The other thing with temperatures, is that they don't overly matter unless you exceed a temperature whereby it becomes unhealthy for the CPU. For this Ryzen, the max temp is 95 degrees, but ideally you want to keep it below 85. The CPU doesn't care whether its loaded or not in this sense, just that the temperature is kept below this.

Also what are you ambient temperatures at the moment?

Solution

Kubsy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2020

The other thing with temperatures, is that they don't overly matter unless you exceed a temperature whereby it becomes unhealthy for the CPU. For this Ryzen, the max temp is 95 degrees, but ideally you want to keep it below 85. The CPU doesn't care whether its loaded or not in this sense, just that the temperature is kept below this.

Also what are you ambient temperatures at the moment?

I see, will this disappear one day or will it go like that for a long time?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I see, will this disappear one day or will it go like that for a long time?
That's how its SUPPOSED to operate.
That is assuming this is what you are seeing.

All I would say, is monitor your CPU temps under load and ensure they are kept below 85 degrees. Your current ambient temperatues will also increase temps as a whole. And monitor it using Ryzen Master or HWInfo.

Robert the public facing AMD engineer did several articles on it for Ryzen:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

albeit he is referring to 3rd Gen here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boris_yo
Ryzen exhibits a few quirks with temperature and frequency spikes, especially when running Windows. I'm not sure of this behavior on Linux since I'm not as familiar with its inner workings.
  • Ryzen appears to have aggressive boost behavior. That is, it'll always simply choose the highest boost clock available as long as conditions are met.
  • Ryzen typically reports the hottest thing in the processor as "CPU temp."
  • Windows, when idling, will service background tasks in relatively long intervals. All tasks are basically piled up until the next interval. Since these tasks are usually ezpz for a processor to run, Windows will shove it all on one core.
  • Given all of that, periodically Ryzen will shoot up in clock speed and because that requires increasing the voltage and temperature is related to voltage and frequency, the winning core of who gets to run background tasks shoots up in temperature accordingly.
There is nothing you can do to change this behavior of spiking short of forcing a fixed clock speed.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Kubsy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2020
That's how its SUPPOSED to operate.
That is assuming this is what you are seeing.

All I would say, is monitor your CPU temps under load and ensure they are kept below 85 degrees. Your current ambient temperatues will also increase temps as a whole. And monitor it using Ryzen Master or HWInfo.

Robert the public facing AMD engineer did several articles on it for Ryzen:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

albeit he is referring to 3rd Gen here.

I tested a little bit and whn I boot my computer, it does the fluctuating clocks and temperatures thing but when I go on a game (Overwatch) the clock stays at 3.4 ghz and it will stay when leaving the game.

that is definitely not normal as I never had that before.

Kubsy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2020
What did it do before?
Sounds like mostly normal boost behaviour. Are you monitoring all core boost or just single core?

I cannot remember what it was doing before as I wasn't monitoring but it was definitely boosting from 3.4 ghz (not stuck at 3.4 ghz) otherwise I would get performance loss. I'm monitoring all of the core boosts.

Kubsy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2020
And have you reverted power saving settings? This can throttle boost speeds. just use the Ryzen inbuilt power plan.

Hello sorry for the late reply, right now I have it as „high performance” and its set min - 10% and max 100%. I’ll change to Ryzen plan later.

but thanks for help. I’ll be checking clocks, hopefully there will be no problems.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Kubsy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2020
And have you reverted power saving settings? This can throttle boost speeds. just use the Ryzen inbuilt power plan.

Hello me again.

So I was measuring each clock’s speed using HWMonitor and when idling: half of them would stay at 1550 Mhz and another half decide to dip mid 2000 ghz / high 3000 mhz and temperatures going up but rapidly going down.

is that normal?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hello me again.

So I was measuring each clock’s speed using HWMonitor and when idling: half of them would stay at 1550 Mhz and another half decide to dip mid 2000 ghz / high 3000 mhz and temperatures going up but rapidly going down.

is that normal?
Yes, because technically you're not idling. There are minor processes occurring in the background, cores will go into a sleep state, and then when needed have this sudden shot of voltage to push it out of sleep, this why you see random speed, voltage, and temp spikes at seemingly low loads.

If your CPU is stuck a 3.4 then it isn't boosting, which can be simply because it doesn't need to or it can't (say thermal limits for example).

Reactions: kurdtnz

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I had these constant temperature spikes and didn't like those spikes due to noise that fan made. What I did was setting custom fan curve that made a big difference.

Next thing I did was creating Ryzen custom Windows power scheme which reduced idle temperature by 4 C and idle temp spikes significantly with no reduction in performance.