CPU cold boot failure

pixeldoc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003
New Asus A8V board with new AMD 3200 CPU keeps giving me a verbal "CPU Test Failed" on cold boot-ups every morning. Rebooting the computer clears the error and the computer boots up and functions without a hitch. This seems to only happen when the computer has been off for at least a few hours. Would you agree that the CPU needs to be replaced or is there another possible culprit here?

PS: I've already asked for an RMA from NewEgg.

-- Please feel free to learn from my mistakes; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

I just got a picture of you laying down next to your rig in a silk robe, glass of cognac in hand and whispering sweet nothings to your "love bunny." :lol:

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
LMAO, Falling on floor choking on food laughing, i can imagine it aswell.

<font color=purple> MY FINGER IS ON THE BUTTON! </font color=purple>

Who's the man with the master plan?
SHAFT! Thought that was appropriate considering the topic... :lol:
What?! You said you deleted that! Right, that's the last time I send you my 'personal' pictures!
Come on Ned, I haven't posted the pics on a public forum, yet. I think the pics epitomize the softer side of you as a "Player." We all need to take note of how to properly "stroke" our rigs.

Come on Ned, I haven't posted the pics on a public forum, yet. I think the pics epitomize the softer side of you as a "Player." We all need to take note of how to properly "stroke" our rigs.
I asked you not to talk about those pics, you know I was drunk at the time! :frown:

...carry on, and I'll post that PM you sent me about your 'uncontrolable urge' which forces you to sleep with your PC every night. Mark my words! :wink:

endyen

Splendid
It is not the cpu. Go into bios, hit f10, then enter, and enter again. If that doesn't cure the problem, it could be a bad battery or a problem with the bios reset, or a bad bios. It might even be a bad capacitor in the bios charge cct.
Next step would be to change the battery.
If that doesn't fix the problem, reflash the bios (and be happy they have online bios utilities).
If you are still out of luck, an rma is in order, but mobo, not chip.

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
Ned is bloody fantastic.
i just love that witty but yet amazing humour, where do u get it from? (Shaft) hes not a man hes a playa (shaft aka ned )

my finger is on the button, (Chemical Brothers latest album)

<font color=purple> MY FINGER IS ON THE BUTTON! </font color=purple>

Is your HSF plugged into the proper place on the board (verify this in your manual)? If not, then the mobo will think you don't have a HSF and could give you this type of error.

pixeldoc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003
OK Figured out "HSF" - Heat Sink Fan. I'll check it out and get back on this.

-- Please feel free to learn from my mistakes; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

What HSF are you using? What RPMs?

...carry on, and I'll post that PM you sent me about your 'uncontrolable urge' which forces you to sleep with your PC every night. Mark my words!
:redface: It's not <b>every</b> night! You're just jealous of what my woman can do when I throw a rig into the mix!
I asked you not to talk about those pics, you know I was drunk at the time!
OK, OK! I'll keep the pics to myself for now. Don't blame me if they mysteriously show up on <A HREF="http://www.rig_lovin.org" target="_new">Rig_Lovin.org</A>.

Well, unless Mozz decides to post them I think I'm safe. :smile:

As for your personal website, it seems a little too personal for my liking. I mean, common:

Quote from Site

"Hi my name is Rugger, and I sleep with my PC.

It all started back in '86 with a floppy drive. I felt lonely - as my cat had just died. It was just there in an old box, it's smooth lines and IDE interface called for me endlessly, wanting me to hug it. I managed to resist for a week or so, but I kept moving it closer to my bed everynight. Before I knew it, it was in my bed. It made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

As time progressed I started stealing money from my loved ones to pay for new components, I couldn't stop, an IDE cable, CD-ROM drive, SDRAM,... I was unstoppable. It only seemed natural that I build a PC and sleep with that.

I think my urges reached their peak around last year when I substituted by bed for a matress made from CPUs and a duvet made from RAM sticks. Now when I walk down the street, all I can think about is my women, an Intel Celeron D.

Thanks for listening. Please donate to my pay-pal account, as you can, see I need counselling!"

pixeldoc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003
Thank You endyen:
Reflashing the BIOS with the newest v1009 did the trick. Evidently version 1007 which was on the board, doesn't co-habit with the 3200+.
I really appreciate your advice & I owe you one.

TRENDING THREADS