CPU comparing help

Saturnity

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
Okay so, people say the i5-7600k is better for gaming than an fx-8350.

How is it better for gaming? It has less cores and threads, than the fx-8350 (Half the cores and threads) I just dont see how the i5 is better? An 8 core 4.0 sounds better than a 4 core 3.8 for gaming.. Help?

Solution
Don't let core counts and frequency fool you. The i5 is superior in that it has 4 powerful cores that have a better IPC (instructions per clock) than the 8350. Games generally do not use more than 4 cores with most using only 2. The i5 is much more efficient in processing the instructions sent to it by the GPU than the 8350. You can google some benchmarks and see the results for yourself.
Imagine it this way. An 8 cylinder engine that has a shitty fuel injector system and only works somewhat ok when you floor it to 7000 RPM will be beaten by a 4 cylinder engine that has an excellent fuel injector system with NOS and a twin turbo at 6000 RPM.
The i5-7600K has a much higher IPC (Instructions Per Cycle) rate than the FX-8350. This can be seen in their single-core performance difference.

This comparison may give you an idea of how it is faster. http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7600K-vs-AMD-FX-8350/3885vs1489

It gives 3 percentages for effective speed:

SQ-Mixed / single-core (only 1 thread is used to determine this), 1 vs 1
QC-Mixed / quad-core (only 4 threads are used to determine this), 4 vs 4
MQ-Mixed / multi-core (all threads are used to determine this), 4 vs 8

Jwpanz

Honorable
Don't let core counts and frequency fool you. The i5 is superior in that it has 4 powerful cores that have a better IPC (instructions per clock) than the 8350. Games generally do not use more than 4 cores with most using only 2. The i5 is much more efficient in processing the instructions sent to it by the GPU than the 8350. You can google some benchmarks and see the results for yourself.
Imagine it this way. An 8 cylinder engine that has a shitty fuel injector system and only works somewhat ok when you floor it to 7000 RPM will be beaten by a 4 cylinder engine that has an excellent fuel injector system with NOS and a twin turbo at 6000 RPM.

Solution

Saturnity

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017

Oh okay, the example of the engine makes it so much easier to understand haha, because I basically know nothing about "IPC"

Jwpanz

Honorable

Yup. To sum up IPC, the i5 does more with 3.8 GHz than an 8350 does with 4 GHz. IPC designates how efficient a processor is. AKA doing more with less.