Question CPU Comparison Feedback - Plex Server

Jun 3, 2022
So numbers on paper the i7 -9750H I have in my Ghost NUC is better than the Xeon E3-1230 V5 I have in my 1U.
I don’t need a ton of transcoding power for plex server because I have my files and users setup so that everything streams direct to any device anywhere. Took along time to dial this in but it takes so much load of my machine now. What I am interested in knowing is that if I migrate my plex server to the 1U server running on an enterprise Xeon would I actually be losing anything?

Would greatly appreciate feedback from similar or past experience users who have done the same. Not really interested in hearsay lol.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I attempted to set up a Plex server on one of the early Athlon (Ryzen gen) CPU, and it made a holy mess of my files and such. Just wasn't up to the task. Otherwise, I have set these up on machines varying from old desktops to dedicated NAS from 3rd gen i3 and up and had no significant issues on any of those machines. I cannot see a Skylake era CPU having an issue, but I haven't tried.

In your case, you have a super easy, if time consuming, way to find out...

Reactions: Ranger86
Jun 3, 2022
I attempted to set up a Plex server on one of the early Athlon (Ryzen gen) CPU, and it made a holy mess of my files and such. Just wasn't up to the task. Otherwise, I have set these up on machines varying from old desktops to dedicated NAS from 3rd gen i3 and up and had no significant issues on any of those machines. I cannot see a Skylake era CPU having an issue, but I haven't tried.

In your case, you have a super easy, if time consuming, way to find out...

I'll let you know my results.