[SOLVED] CPU Compatibility i7 9700k

Nov 27, 2020
So I recently purchased an i7 9700k with the original idea that it would be compatible with my motherboard, as they have the same socket, but when I tried installing it my computer failed to boot and upon further research, it seems that it is not compatible. I would like to know where to go from here to upgrade my computer, as I don't want to return the CPU but rather upgrade my motherboard. I would also like to confirm that my motherboard is not compatible with my CPU.
Here are my specs:
Current CPU: Intel Core i5 7400 @ 3.00GHZ
Planned Upgrade CPU: Intel Core i7 9700k @ 3.6GHZ
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Motherboard: HP 82F1
RAM: Dual DDR4 16GB 2133 MHz (2x8)

Also, side note, I have an old 750 Ti in a computer that isn't in use anymore. If I upgrade motherboards, would a dual GPU configuration with my current GPU and this GPU be possible/worth it?

Solution
if you mean you could combine your 1060 and your old 750ti into one computer that wont work.

They dont have the same chipset and both of them dont support sli

When looking for a new mobo you need to make sure that your cpu and your ram is compatible with it.
For example the i7 9700k is using a 1151 socket (so. 1151) so you need a mobo that has this type of socket.
As for RAM its not really that difficult. For the i7 9700k you need DDR4 Ram.
In terms of RAM speed i would suggest something like 3200 MHz Cl 16.

And as stated by rgd1101 before a z 300 series board will be able to support that.

And also your CPU cooler should be able to be built onto the socket.

Also you should look for a case that supports you mobo's formfactor like...
Nov 27, 2020
get a z 300 series board
ram is slow, not goin to upgrade that?
dual gpu for what?

wait, is this a prebuild hp?
I was looking into upgrading RAM but not sure how much more useful it would be. Yes its an HP Pavilion 580-0xx, and just a dual GPU in general because I've heard of that being used a while ago like dual 980's when those were the big cards. I just have an extra GPU that's not being used, so would it be worth it/possible to use it? Also, when looking for a new mobo, what all do I need to make sure is compatible? Every component pretty much?

Nov 21, 2020
if you mean you could combine your 1060 and your old 750ti into one computer that wont work.

They dont have the same chipset and both of them dont support sli

When looking for a new mobo you need to make sure that your cpu and your ram is compatible with it.
For example the i7 9700k is using a 1151 socket (so. 1151) so you need a mobo that has this type of socket.
As for RAM its not really that difficult. For the i7 9700k you need DDR4 Ram.
In terms of RAM speed i would suggest something like 3200 MHz Cl 16.

And as stated by rgd1101 before a z 300 series board will be able to support that.

And also your CPU cooler should be able to be built onto the socket.

Also you should look for a case that supports you mobo's formfactor like ATX, mATX or maybe even µATX.

You can look all this stuff up in the descriptions of the individual PC parts.

Last edited:
Solution