Question CPU compatibility issues?

headzone200

Commendable
Apr 24, 2018
I need some help, I recently bought a Ryzen 7 3700x to replace my Ryzen 5 2600. Other components are:

ROG Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard,
NVIDIA GTX 1080 Graphics Card,
750 Watt PSU, and
16 GB of Corsair 3200 Mhz ram.

When I originally tried the CPU, it didn't boot. I then returned it and got another one thinking it was a dead CPU, but to my surprise, still no boot. I tried a different motherboard, and different ram in the new motherboard, still no boot. It was still booting with the graphics card so I never changed that. I updated the BIOS to the newest version, and cleared the CMOS every way possible. I returned the 3700x but I still really wanna upgrade. Any suggestions as to why it wasn't working or what I should do?

kanewolf

Titan
I need some help, I recently bought a Ryzen 7 3700x to replace my Ryzen 5 2600. Other components are:

ROG Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard,
NVIDIA GTX 1080 Graphics Card,
750 Watt PSU, and
16 GB of Corsair 3200 Mhz ram.

When I originally tried the CPU, it didn't boot. I then returned it and got another one thinking it was a dead CPU, but to my surprise, still no boot. I tried a different motherboard, and different ram in the new motherboard, still no boot. It was still booting with the graphics card so I never changed that. I updated the BIOS to the newest version, and cleared the CMOS every way possible. I returned the 3700x but I still really wanna upgrade. Any suggestions as to why it wasn't working or what I should do?
Since you no longer have the CPU it will be impossible for us to help you determine WHY it didn't boot.

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Too many details are missing to offer any help.

Here are the facts I understand:

1. You tried 2 3700x CPUs in your X570 motherboard with the above components and neither of the CPUs worked with the existent at the time BIOS;
  2. You used your R5 2600 cpu to update your X570 motherboard BIOS to the latest one (while using the above components);
  3. Your X570 motherboard with updated BIOS did not work with the second 3700X;
  4. Then you used some other motherboard - and the second 3700X would not post;
  5. You tried different set of RAM with that different board and it made no difference.
I tried a different motherboard

What motherboard did you use? What RAM did you use? What is your power supply? Did you try BIOS reset on both motherboards?

headzone200

Commendable
Apr 24, 2018
Too many details are missing to offer any help.

Here are the facts I understand:

1. You tried 2 3700x CPUs in your X570 motherboard with the above components and neither of the CPUs worked with the existent at the time BIOS;
  2. You used your R5 2600 cpu to update your X570 motherboard BIOS to the latest one (while using the above components);
  3. Your X570 motherboard with updated BIOS did not work with the second 3700X;
  4. Then you used some other motherboard - and the second 3700X would not post;
  5. You tried different set of RAM with that different board and it made no difference.

What motherboard did you use? What RAM did you use? What is your power supply? Did you try BIOS reset on both motherboards?
I used a ROG Strix B-450F Gaming board. I used two sticks of 8 GB 3200 Mhz corsair vengeance. The power supply I used for that motherboard test was some 700 Watt one I just had lying around. The one I currently have in my system is a EVGA 750 GQ Gold Plus. I didn't reset the BIOS on the other motherboard, no. Didn't really cross my mind. I don't see anything that could've stopped it from working though so I'm just scared to build a new PC or upgrade this one.