Cpu Compatibility With Motherboard

Oct 2, 2018
Okay, here’s my story... I’m new to building pc’s and have recently wanted to upgrade. I currently have a Pentium g4400 and like I said want to upgrade. My motherboard chipset Is a lga1151 and was wondering what recommended upgrades there could be. Would definitely like a quad core processor. If any other details are necessary please don’t gen afraid to ask.

Kind regards,
Jakob

Oct 2, 2018

says motherboard is a h110m-h-cf gigabyte.

Please, indicate your current specifications (memory, motherboard, GPU, PSU ...) so that we can help you better.

It would also be important to know what you are going to use the PC for and your budget for the change.

I explain:
You have an Intel Sixth Generation processor with a motherboard (chipset ¿Z170, H170, H110, B150 ...?) LGA 1151. Its memory is DDR4 (speed 2133?)

The possibilities you have are:

A better Intel of Sixth or Seventh Generation with what you could use your current Motherboard (in the case of Seventh Generation surely should update the BIOS of your Motherboard)

An Intel Processor of the Eighth Generation. You should also change your motherboard because this generation uses the LGA 1151 version 2 that is not backwards compatible.

A Ryzen AMD processor. As in the previous case you should also change your motherboard. A possible drawback is that the Ryzen work better with high-speed DDR4 3000 or 3200, so perhaps your memory, although compatible, may not be the best.

It is important to compare prices before making a decision. An I3-8100 (4 cores 8 gen.) Is almost identical to an i5-7500 (4 cores 7 gen.) But the first costs about $ 100 less, so perhaps it is cheaper to change the motherboard.

Remember that if your windows 10 license is OEM, you will not be able to use it if you change your motherboard. If you come from the free windows 10 update you can use it using the procedure explained on the microsoft website.

Oct 2, 2018

this is a bit confusing to me, however i don't really want to upgrade my motherboard or get new ram... I have a gigabyte h110m-h-cf motherboard and If there is no good quad core processor that can go with this then I might have to stick with the one I have... I have a budget of around $300 Australian. Sorry for my lack of knowledge. I have ddr4 2133mhz ram and have a 750ti as my graphics card. My psu is also 650 watts, and I am unaware of what chipset this motherboard has...