[SOLVED] CPU compatibility

Sep 8, 2019
I have a MSI 760gm P23 FX am3+mob yes I know it’s a ancient MOB from 2011.
Now my question
I currently have a AMD FX6300 CPU installed with a wattage Of 95w I had prior a phenom x4 955BE that was 125w when I google up the best CPU I can install on my MOB all I see is FX6300 due to the wattage on the fx8000 series being higher than what my MOB is rated at 125w

However the FX 8370 AM3+ a eight core processor I can buy used for like 50-70$ has a power rating of 125w the same as my old phenom I had in the exact system.

Would there be an issue with this MOB and this CPU I don’t see any possible issues since it’s same socket power rating is at the max my MOB can take but I had a exact watt card in for years with no issues however my conflict arises when I google search and see results saying the fx6300 is the best cpu this MOB can take. Is there something else I’m missing compatibility wise? Or am I reading a bunch of misinformation

I currently have a EVGA1070Ti HYBRID I got for 180$ used (letgo has STEALS for gamers) and my FX6300 is bottlenecking me in a few games I’m not a extreme gamer so getting a new MOB with a new i9 Intel really isn’t my priority I light game mainly play age of empires anno Starcraft and warthunder without any issue however trying to play gears 5 on high my CPU bottlenecks my system and I can’t really break 50 FPS I figured a used 8370 with a higher base clock and higher bandwidth L caches should help ease the bottle neck a bit without needing to get a whole new MOB chip windows version etc

Solution
i have my fx6300 OC stable at 4.5ghz from 3.2ghz i have heard this board is horrific for OC yet i havent had much issues with it and im using a coolmaster tower no water cooling.

i wouldent mind getting a new MOB however i dont know how to transfer my windows LISC to my new MOB and would rather not have to rebuy windows all over again and do a fresh install .

125w 8 cores are a whole other ball game, When these systems were popular we had MANY MANY posts of unstable systems with the same setup. Its not worth it.

As for transferring your Windows license as long as you have a Microsoft account you can transfer it. Its tied to your account. When you build the new system login with your account and then log into your...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
HIGHLY recommend against ever using any 8 core FX CPU in a 760G based motherboard. They are power hungry and that board has a very poor VRM setup.

Even though its not on the support list it will probably boot and run, but when you push it, it will crash.

Don't waste the money.

Sep 8, 2019
HIGHLY recommend against ever using any 8 core FX CPU in a 760G based motherboard. They are power hungry and that board has a very poor VRM setup.

Even though its not on the support list it will probably boot and run, but when you push it, it will crash.

Don't waste the money.
i have my fx6300 OC stable at 4.5ghz from 3.2ghz i have heard this board is horrific for OC yet i havent had much issues with it and im using a coolmaster tower no water cooling.

i wouldent mind getting a new MOB however i dont know how to transfer my windows LISC to my new MOB and would rather not have to rebuy windows all over again and do a fresh install .

Sep 8, 2019
also another weird quirk to this MOB it says it can only run ram up to 1333mhz per stick limit however my ram is running at 1600mhz (patriot 8gbx2 @ 1600mhz(800)
does this MOB support higher ram speeds but not have them listed on the manual?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

125w 8 cores are a whole other ball game, When these systems were popular we had MANY MANY posts of unstable systems with the same setup. Its not worth it.

As for transferring your Windows license as long as you have a Microsoft account you can transfer it. Its tied to your account. When you build the new system login with your account and then log into your Microsoft account in Windows Edge, then go to your systems and find your old system select that you made a hardware change, it will then link it to your new system.

If you still have your product key there is another procedure you can do as well.

Solution