[SOLVED] CPU compatible with MSI Z170A PC MATE

Dec 10, 2018
I want to start by saying that I'm not all that knowledgeable when it comes to PC parts etc. I just know the basics so forgive anything I may not understand.
I am looking to upgrade my CPU but hoping to keep it under £250-270.
I currently have i5-6500 and I know its becoming pretty outdated, struggling to play some games (BFV currently) (mostly what I use my computer for).
I was looking at the i5-9600k but I'm completely unsure if I can use this processor with my mobo. I am basically looking for any suggestions or advice on whats best for my setup/price range.
Thank in advanced.

Specs:
i5-6500
MSI Z170A PC MATE (MS-7971)
2x 8gig DDR4 Corsair vengeance 2133 mhz
GTX 1060 3gb

Solution
The best CPU you can get for that board is either the Core i7 6700k or if you do a BIOS update you can get the i7 7700k (which is basically the same chip, just with maybe slightly better overclocking potential). These CPUs are still quad cores but do have hyperthreading which can help on the newer Frostbite based games like Battlefield 5. The 9600k requires a 300 series chipset board in order to work, so that's not an option without a motherboard swap.
The best CPU you can get for that board is either the Core i7 6700k or if you do a BIOS update you can get the i7 7700k (which is basically the same chip, just with maybe slightly better overclocking potential). These CPUs are still quad cores but do have hyperthreading which can help on the newer Frostbite based games like Battlefield 5. The 9600k requires a 300 series chipset board in order to work, so that's not an option without a motherboard swap.

Solution
Dec 10, 2018

Okay thank you for your help, much appreciated.